The Student Room Group

I need help with make up!!!

I’m a 16 year old girl in year 12 and my sixth form social is coming up. I’m not a particularly girly girl but I want to wear make to the social but I don’t own any make up and have never really used it!!

Could someone please briefly out line what are must haves for make up at a reasonable price and any techniques I need to be aware of.

When I say I have little experience I’m not lying and I often feel self conscious that many girls do wear make up so I want to Star wearing it more to boost my own confidence.

I’d be really grateful for any input!!
Reply 1
I think the thing is with make up is that it is all trial and error really and seeing what works best for you. I've spent many hours in front of a mirror trying to make my make up look perfect by trying out different applications or different coloured eye shadow etc. haha!
If you don't really want to spend a lot of money and want to have the basics, then I'd suggest finding a foundation that best suits your skin colour, Rimmel, No.7 and Loreal do some really nice foundations in a good selection of shades to choose from. I'd also try finding a concealer to go with it too just to hide any discolouration on your face (such as bags under the eyes!!)
You could try and see how you get on with some blush, you can get blush virtually from every make up brand, you could browse around and see which colours you like. The same really with eye shadows, there are so many colours to choose from from golds to browns to pinks to blues so you could pick and choose what you fancy.
To top it off you could try some mascara, I personally recommend loreal as I've always liked the quality of their mascaras and they make my eyelashes look super long and bold.
You could go for some lipstick/lip gloss too, colours is personal choice but I'd recommend colours that go with the colour of your eye shadow or something along those lines. Obviously you don't have to stick to this :P
I'd try searching up in YouTube some basic make up tutorials and see how you get on from there!!

Good luck!!
Reply 2
Original post by meowza
I think the thing is with make up is that it is all trial and error really and seeing what works best for you. I've spent many hours in front of a mirror trying to make my make up look perfect by trying out different applications or different coloured eye shadow etc. haha!
If you don't really want to spend a lot of money and want to have the basics, then I'd suggest finding a foundation that best suits your skin colour, Rimmel, No.7 and Loreal do some really nice foundations in a good selection of shades to choose from. I'd also try finding a concealer to go with it too just to hide any discolouration on your face (such as bags under the eyes!!)
You could try and see how you get on with some blush, you can get blush virtually from every make up brand, you could browse around and see which colours you like. The same really with eye shadows, there are so many colours to choose from from golds to browns to pinks to blues so you could pick and choose what you fancy.
To top it off you could try some mascara, I personally recommend loreal as I've always liked the quality of their mascaras and they make my eyelashes look super long and bold.
You could go for some lipstick/lip gloss too, colours is personal choice but I'd recommend colours that go with the colour of your eye shadow or something along those lines. Obviously you don't have to stick to this :P
I'd try searching up in YouTube some basic make up tutorials and see how you get on from there!!

Good luck!!

Thanks soooo much I appreciate it!!!!
Original post by Stewart3021
I’m a 16 year old girl in year 12 and my sixth form social is coming up. I’m not a particularly girly girl but I want to wear make to the social but I don’t own any make up and have never really used it!!

Could someone please briefly out line what are must haves for make up at a reasonable price and any techniques I need to be aware of.

When I say I have little experience I’m not lying and I often feel self conscious that many girls do wear make up so I want to Star wearing it more to boost my own confidence.

If you wanna go natural and cheap, I recommend
Collection perfection concealer in lemon in a triangle under eyes, if you have dark circles
Blend with beauty blender(real techniques)
Collection perfection concealer in whatever matches your skin tone over the lemon. I also use this over any redness on my face instead of foundation!
Then I use Rimmel clear complextion powder (literally using a brush from Poundland:wink:) all over the face
Then I put collection gorgeous glow on my cheeks and then spray my face with Barry m setting spray
For mascara I recommend maybelline lash sensational, its amazing!!
To make everything look natural I normally use a makeup wipe on eyebrows and lips so they're not discoloured from the powder/concealer
Hope this helps and good luck!!:smile:

If you're only just starting out with makeup I'd recommend BB cream instead of a foundation. Just because it's light coverage, has spf, moisturiser etc. I suggest the garnier BB cream. There's also only 2 shades so you'll easily be able to pick either the lighter or medium shade for your skin tone. For mascara I recommend maybelline scandaleyes extreme. (LOVE this mascara.) For a powder I'd go for Rimmel. I'd go for a blush maybe again Rimmel London. Lipsticks I absolutely be love are the L'Oréal matte lipsticks or any L'Oréal lipstick tbh.
ideally you want these things:
moisturiser - anything for your skin type. it will stop makeup from clogging your pores so much
Foundarion - a great one is NYX Stay Matte but Not Flat for £6. it has great covereage and you can use it sparingly..
to apply this, a makeup sponge works best (The real Techniques one is around £5) but you can ise your hands.
Eyeshadow - In Superdrug, you can get really pretty Palettes for just £4 by Makeup Revolution
Mascara - the best ones are usually around £8 - £10 but its not that necessary to get an amazing ine while youre still learning
Lipstick - Go taje some swatches to see what matches your skin tone. You can get decent ones for as little as £3

Those are the basics, but you could get more. Contour and Highlight can be fun, but I'd wait until you're used to using the other things too
if you want your make up to stay on all day, i recommend either a setting spray or a loose finishing or setting powder [At Boots you can get a decent powder by Collection for like £4)
Watch some tutorials on YouTube! have fun with it.
I'd reccommend getting the garnier Micellar water for cleasing before and after makeup. if you put it on a Q Tip then you can remove any little mistakes wothout needing to rub off half of your face! its cheap too and lasts ages
Reply 6
Thank you sooo much everyone for the help!! I’ll be sure to use all of it and it means so much x

Do not go from nothing to a full face of makeup! I would suggest starting easy: eyes
No.7 eye shadow palette no.30 "Cappuccino" from boots, there is a easy tutorial with this exact palette. Inexpensive as well.

Eyelashes: curl them! I have an eyelash curler, £7, use everyday. If used correctly then it is really effective. Then apply mascara, any is fine, apply a bit to the bottom lashes as well.

Eyebrows: pluck/thread them to get them in shape, use an old mascara wand to brush through them.
Simple and easy, not too much either

Quick Reply

Latest