Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I recently left one University to transfer to another.

Whilst at the first University, I spent 2 years on the Business Management course, but due to personal reasons, I've had to move closer to home for this year. So, I am now on a Business Management top up course (2 year) at another University.

Prior to my decision to leave the original University, I contacted Student Finance to ask how switching University would affect my funding. They told me that as long as I was staying on the same course, I would still be entitled to the four years.

My original plan was to transfer into second year, but I remember someone at Uni. telling me about top-up degrees - that they are a good option for people in my position, as I could pick different modules to what I had already studied, thereby learning something new, which would make my years already studied not seem like a waste of time. So, I decided to pick the Business Management top up instead of transferring.

Student Finance recently sent me a letter however, stating that I would not get funding, because I am essentially starting a new degree. I was under the impression that I would still get funding, as it would still be within the four years, and I was staying on the same course.

So, my first question is: Would it be possible for me to explain this to someone at SFE? I understand that it looks pretty stupid on my part.

Secondly: I have received a Certificate of Higher Education for the two years that I have studied, does this change anything at all?

Finally: If is not possible for me to get the tuition fee loan, would I still be able to get the maintenance loan if I explained my situation? I will probably have to drop out if I can't.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James187)
    Hi,

I recently left one University to transfer to another.

Whilst at the first University, I spent 2 years on the Business Management course, but due to personal reasons, I've had to move closer to home for this year. So, I am now on a Business Management top up course (2 year) at another University.

Prior to my decision to leave the original University, I contacted Student Finance to ask how switching University would affect my funding. They told me that as long as I was staying on the same course, I would still be entitled to the four years.

My original plan was to transfer into second year, but I remember someone at Uni. telling me about top-up degrees - that they are a good option for people in my position, as I could pick different modules to what I had already studied, thereby learning something new, which would make my years already studied not seem like a waste of time. So, I decided to pick the Business Management top up instead of transferring.

Student Finance recently sent me a letter however, stating that I would not get funding, because I am essentially starting a new degree. I was under the impression that I would still get funding, as it would still be within the four years, and I was staying on the same course.
    Hi James,

Thanks for the explanation of your circumstances. I'll take your questions one at a time.

So, my first question is: Would it be possible for me to explain this to someone at SFE? I understand that it looks pretty stupid on my part.
    Although academically it may look seamless, from an admin & finance point of view by changing to a top-up degree you have started a new course. That means your previous study is taken into account when assessing your entitlement.

Secondly: I have received a Certificate of Higher Education for the two years that I have studied, does this change anything at all?
    No. It's a lower level qualification than the one you are working towards so won't affect your eligibility for funding.

Finally: If is not possible for me to get the tuition fee loan, would I still be able to get the maintenance loan if I explained my situation? I will probably have to drop out if I can't.
    You would still be entitled to the means tested Maintenance Loan, supplementary grants and DSA even though you weren't entitled to the Tuition Fee Loan

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
    If the option to transfer is still open at this stage of the year it might be worth discussing with your university.

Regards,

Stuart

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.