Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've always been a slim person but since returning to uni I've lost some weight and my BMI is 16.9 (105 lbs at 5 ft 6) which is really underweight. The thing is, I don't feel underweight, look underweight or try to lose weight. Do I need to worry? Is it just due to being back at uni where I walk a lot more and go on nights out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PollyParrot23)
    I've always been a slim person but since returning to uni I've lost some weight and my BMI is 16.9 (105 lbs at 5 ft 6) which is really underweight. The thing is, I don't feel underweight, look underweight or try to lose weight. Do I need to worry? Is it just due to being back at uni where I walk a lot more and go on nights out?
    If you look fine, feel fine and are fine *(according to your gp) then its ok.
    BMI doesnt reallly mean much (especially if you've done it on a website)

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps you lost a lot of water weight due to a change in diet.
    as for not looking underweight are you sure?
    Anyways it doesn't seem sustainable and i'd recommend eating more
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    How did you calculate your BMI? Did you do the ridiculously inaccurate height-weight or did you to the fat squeezer thing, that I can't recall the name of?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angrypoliceman)
    P
    as for not looking underweight are you sure?
    Anyways it doesn't seem sustainable and i'd recommend eating more
    I'm fairly sure? I told my friend how much I weight and she said she wouldn't have guessed I was underweight.

Also eating more sounds good to me :L I've been trying to eat more seed and nuts and snacking on buttery crumpets
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SomeWelshGuy123)
    How did you calculate your BMI? Did you do the ridiculously inaccurate height-weight or did you to the fat squeezer thing, that I can't recall the name of?
    uh....the ridiculously inaccurate one :L I didn't have fat caliper sitting on my desk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PollyParrot23)
    I'm fairly sure? I told my friend how much I weight and she said she wouldn't have guessed I was underweight.

Also eating more sounds good to me :L I've been trying to eat more seed and nuts and snacking on buttery crumpets
    still doesn't sound like a lot truthfully

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angrypoliceman)
    still doesn't sound like a lot truthfully
    Well not on it's own no, but nuts contain a lot of fat. So on top of a normal diet of three meals plus snacks, extra portions of things like nuts and crumpets should help?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Firstly, BMI isn't always the best system to judge whether or not you are healthy. One of the key issues with the BMI system is that it does not take into account your lifestyle. Do you do much sport? For example. Most sporting athletes will have a lower BMI then average, but will be healthy. Furthermore, body shape is a key factor, individuals who carry more weight around their midsection are linked to have a higher risk of disease and mortality.

With regards to you specifically, If that is you in that one picture you look thin. If you are still remaining healthy and keeping a balanced diet, then yeah, you should be okay. Ultimately, Just giving your body what it needs is the most important thing. If you manage to do that, then yeah, you should be fine. But I'd be wary of losing more weight.

Simply put, BMI is a useful tool when looking at a mass group of people. But, Relatively poor measurement of health when looking at an individual.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 10, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.