Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I have just started college and there is a French trip coming up soon.

Part of me wants to go, however I have suffered with social anxiety since a young age, and on every school residential I have been on I have had a panic attack before I leave home, and then another when I am there, and I am terrified that this will happen again. Also, I have never been abroad without my family before- and if I do go on the trip then I won't be able to get back home if I feel like I need to (feeling trapped also panics me). I would also have to stay in a French family's house with someone from my French group and spend the weekend with the family- something that I'm not entirely comfortable with because I don't know anyone in my group yet and I would be staying with a family that I have never met who probably speak limited English.

On the other hand, I think it would be a good experience for me and it would hopefully improve my French, but I don't know if it's too big a step right now? I have mentioned this to my teacher and she said that she's had students in the past who were apprehensive and ended up having a great time, she basically said that I should do it, but I don't think she understood that I'm not apprehensive, I'm really really scared.

I know that it's a stupid issue but none of my friends seem to understand, and my family aren't expressing any opinions or helping me to decide at all really. I think they're afraid that I will be swayed if they tell me what they think I should do, but I need some advice because I'm really not sure what the right thing to do is. Help?!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 10, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.