Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Fake IDs - is it illegal to have two provisionals Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering if there’s any rules against you having two provisionals? I’m 16 and met an 18 year old girl on the weekend who let me borrow her ID to get a piercing but is it illegal or anything to have two IDs in your possession?/Is there any way people would be able to tell you have two? Thanks
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    It's illegal to 'borrow' someone else's ID in the first place you absolute wombat

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Galahad_)
    It's illegal to 'borrow' someone else's ID in the first place you absolute wombat
    Well no ****. I’m just enquiring about the legality of owning 2 IDs

ReputationRep:
    Well you don't own the second ID, you borrowed it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The only way anyone will find out if you get both of the licenses out at the same time, so as long as you don't do that, you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    You can have as many ad you want as long as they are correct and your own. I have my drivers licence and passport but they are both mine and correct.

I'm mostly sure you can only have one of each type though.

ReputationRep:
    It's illegal to attempt to buy alcohol under the age of 18. It could be a potential criminal/civil offence of fraud to use that fake ID for other purposes.

Simply carrying a fake ID is not a crime in itself.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sadevictoria)
    Well no ****. I’m just enquiring about the legality of owning 2 IDs
    Well, you said you used her ID to get a piercing so it's not just enquiring about owning 2 IDs, seeing that the 2nd ID isn't even yours. It's fine to carry around but you shouldn't use it to gain access to age restricted goods/services.

Your thread is about fake IDs so there must be something else you're not telling us?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by utr)
    The only way anyone will find out if you get both of the licenses out at the same time, so as long as you don't do that, you'll be fine.
    All I wanted to know, thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ezisola)
    It's illegal to attempt to buy alcohol under the age of 18. It could be a potential criminal/civil offence of fraud to use that fake ID for other purposes.

Simply carrying a fake ID is not a crime in itself.
    I could make a strong argument that it is a crime. If you don't intend to use it to break the law, why would you own it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kandiman)
    I could make a strong argument that it is a crime. If you don't intend to use it to break the law, why would you own it?
    I said carrying, not owning.

Regardless; simply possessing an item which may* be used to break the law is not usually a crime in itself.

*obvious exceptions for potential terrorism items, coming equipped for burglary, etc - which all have their own specific offences listed.

ReputationRep:
    I said carrying, not owning.

Regardless; simply possessing an item which may* be used to break the law is not usually a crime in itself.

*obvious exceptions for potential terrorism items, coming equipped for burglary, etc - which all have their own specific offences listed.
    Possessing an item of which the only purpose is to knowingly break the law is almost certainly a crime in itself though. Literally the only good reason for carrying it otherwise is that you're using it to train people to spot fake IDs as part of your job, but that would be easy to verify.

It's like owning a lockpicking kit. They're perfectly legal to own if you're a locksmith, but way harder to explain if you're employed as a barista.

ReputationRep:
    Possessing an item of which the only purpose is to knowingly break the law is almost certainly a crime in itself though. Literally the only good reason for carrying it otherwise is that you're using it to train people to spot fake IDs as part of your job, but that would be easy to verify.

It's like owning a lockpicking kit. They're perfectly legal to own if you're a locksmith, but way harder to explain if you're employed as a barista.
    Poor example, I know of a couple of people who own lock picks because they do it as a hobby. Pretty sure neither are criminals

ReputationRep:
    Poor example, I know of a couple of people who own lock picks because they do it as a hobby. Pretty sure neither are criminals
    If they go out of their house with their lock pics, then they might be committing a criminal offence. Pretty good example, after all.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1968/60/section/25

ReputationRep:

it could be one of her friends ID's that she found on the floor and is just keeping it safe until they meet up again. Don't be such a wet blanket lol

ReputationRep:
    Not illegal per se, but difficult to explain if you get caught

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamesj477)
    it could be one of her friends ID's that she found on the floor and is just keeping it safe until they meet up again. Don't be such a wet blanket lol
    Doesn't matter whose ID it is if it's fake, though, does it? Possessing a fake ID indicates an intent to commit a crime. That's kind of how the law works, kid.

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't matter whose ID it is if it's fake, though, does it? Possessing a fake ID indicates an intent to commit a crime. That's kind of how the law works, kid.
    yes, but the police can't prove that can they. The ID itself isn't fake, OP said that a girl gave her hers to use. As long as you arent caught trying to use it, you can just say that you found it and are gonna return it to her. even if the police did get involved, at worst u will just get it confiscated. lighten up kandi
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Just get one of those OP. I did, and now got no problem whatsoever. I finally look old enough to party. And oh, let's not forget I am a Hawaiian organ donor...Sweet

Spoiler:
    Show

Name:  IMG_1527.JPG
Views: 43
Size:  147.6 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamesj477)
    yes, but the police can't prove that can they. The ID itself isn't fake, OP said that a girl gave her hers to use. As long as you arent caught trying to use it, you can just say that you found it and are gonna return it to her. even if the police did get involved, at worst u will just get it confiscated. lighten up kandi
    I'm now wondering where you find people stupid enough to accept someone else's ID. Like, they have a picture on them. If you're thick enough that you can't tell the difference between the person in front of you and the person pictured on an ID, you need culling from society.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.