Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My ex-boyfriend helped me do my coursework! Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a bit of a fix and trying to figure out if I'm in real trouble. I was in a relationship while studying for my masters at Cambridge University. My start wasn't going too good as I am an international student and was overwhelmed by the University's curriculum as English isn't my first language.

He helped me with the English assessment and did the online test for me. Once I got to University, he helped redraft my post for discussion boards and talked me through engaging in a discussion. He also wrote a few of my assignments, a few meaning three. For things he couldn't help with, he hired ghost writing services to complete my assignment. We did use the submissions but also changed a lot of context to make it relevant. We're broken up now and he once mentioned he will send the emails to the university.

My question is, will the university take him seriously since I've already graduated? Do universities entertain complaints of plagiarism for students that graduated 5 years ago?

I am working with a Fortune 500 company now, wondering if that can affect my employment. Will I lose my degree? Can Cambridge University revoke my degree? Do I need a lawyer? or just expect the worst an pray nothing happens?

I know I did something wrong and I have corrected a lot of my mistakes. This has me troubled and I'm wondering if its better to come forward or just keep wondering?

Any advice would be appreciated, for that want to tell me how wrong this is, I know it is but I've done it already. Just struggling with owning up or letting it go.

ReputationRep:
    What the hell is wrong with you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PS stealer 2)
    How did a Sp*stic like you get into Cambridge?
    Well, that tell you Cambridge intake process isn't all that. Any idea of what the consequences might be other than getting cursed here?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ishax)
    What the hell is wrong with you?
    you mean i shouldn't post this? or that i did what I did??

ReputationRep:
    It depends on if he has sufficient evidence for the uni to investigate. What kind of emails does he have? It does sound like a serious matter, for example, he wrote your assignments?! If they find out the truth, you may lose your degree.

Do you take him threatening to report you seriously or was it just an empty threat?

ReputationRep:
    Arguably you've crossed the line from plagiarism to fraud, as not only have you passed off someone else's work as your own but you've been granted a degree as a result.

Yeah, I'd be worried if I were you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheesecakelove)
    It depends on if he has sufficient evidence for the uni to investigate. What kind of emails does he have? It does sound like a serious matter, for example, he wrote your assignments?! If they find out the truth, you may lose your degree.

Do you take him threatening to report you seriously or was it just an empty threat?
    I think it was an empty threat but you never know .. I don't know what I was thinking .. now I'm wondering if I should just give it up the information voluntarily. And evidence is in emails exchanged. Things he wrote and sent me, things he redrafted for me for it to sound better. It did help, my grades got better than they were without the help .. I changed it a bit but its mostly his ideas and it shows. Thanks for replying

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amiintrouble)
    I think it was an empty threat but you never know .. I don't know what I was thinking .. now I'm wondering if I should just give it up the information voluntarily. And evidence is in emails exchanged. Things he wrote and sent me, things he redrafted for me for it to sound better. It did help, my grades got better than they were without the help .. I changed it a bit but its mostly his ideas and it shows. Thanks for replying
    Have fun in jail.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like he's unlikely to complain then. I'd say leave it be and try to get him off your mind and forget him. In the grand scheme of things your few essays were indeed dishonest but not wholly indicative that you aren't an able student.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MasterSnake)
    Have fun in jail.
    Stop being so moronic. Her ex boyfriend has literally no evidence to go on. Why would he waste his time going through the reporting process? He'll just get interrogated for evidence and he'll end up being punished too for his role in it. Unless he's lost his own mind he won't take the risk. Please ignore what these people are saying OP, your ex isn't a threat to you anymore.

ReputationRep:
    What actual proof does he have? He probably won't send the emails anyway. He didn't really "help" you, as he basically did the work himself.

ReputationRep:
    Well, if there's one consolation, he's legally just as guilty of fraud as you are...

ReputationRep:
    Well, that tell you Cambridge intake process isn't all that. Any idea of what the consequences might be other than getting cursed here?
    Worst case: They revoke your degree. However, if your man is threatening to get Cambridge to -revoke your degree- because he's petty and spiteful, the upside to this is that you dumped a toxic guy who would threaten to hurt you after you're broken up in a way that would cause irrevocable harm to you.

So at least you dodged a bullet there.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a bit of a fix and trying to figure out if I'm in real trouble. I was in a relationship while studying for my masters at Cambridge University. My start wasn't going too good as I am an international student and was overwhelmed by the University's curriculum as English isn't my first language.

He helped me with the English assessment and did the online test for me. Once I got to University, he helped redraft my post for discussion boards and talked me through engaging in a discussion. He also wrote a few of my assignments, a few meaning three. For things he couldn't help with, he hired ghost writing services to complete my assignment. We did use the submissions but also changed a lot of context to make it relevant. We're broken up now and he once mentioned he will send the emails to the university.

My question is, will the university take him seriously since I've already graduated? Do universities entertain complaints of plagiarism for students that graduated 5 years ago?

I am working with a Fortune 500 company now, wondering if that can affect my employment. Will I lose my degree? Can Cambridge University revoke my degree? Do I need a lawyer? or just expect the worst an pray nothing happens?

I know I did something wrong and I have corrected a lot of my mistakes. This has me troubled and I'm wondering if its better to come forward or just keep wondering?

Any advice would be appreciated, for that want to tell me how wrong this is, I know it is but I've done it already. Just struggling with owning up or letting it go.
    First of all don't mention it to anyone if however he does send the e mails then it's quite likely you'll be called to an academic miss conduct heating no matter how long ago it was and yes you'll loose your degree. He didn't really help you do your course work he helped you cheat. tobe honest you deserve to have your degree revoked.

ReputationRep:
    Hope you're happy with a fake Masters degree that you didn't earn yourself

ReputationRep:
    What you did was obviously wrong, but I wouldn’t worry much about it considering it was 5 years ago. Your ex-boyfriend is unlikely to go through with the threat and if he did he’d be done for fraud too. Just cut off all contact with him and get on with your life :dry:

ReputationRep:
    I'm not happy or sad. Its something I did. The reason for posting on here is so others may learn a lesson. Its very tempting when you're not doing well even when you're trying and someone offers to help "out of the goodness of their heart" ... there may be case where the diploma mills, for the right incentive may give away the papers they've authored too. Yes, I cheated and its something I will have to deal with.

(Original post by bones-mccoy)
    Hope you're happy with a fake Masters degree that you didn't earn yourself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MasterSnake)
    Have fun in jail.
    I don't think anyone goes to jail for cheating. Not at University anyway, because you pay for it. You can get denied degree but jail would require that I scammed someone. Here, I scammed myself. Which is bad enough I think.
    • Very Important Poster

Hope this is a wind up.

Yes they can.

Probably wont come to anything, unless he is very vindictive. No sympathy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Hope this is a wind up.

Yes they can.

Probably wont come to anything, unless he is very vindictive. No sympathy.
    Thanks for replying ... under what circumstances would jail come into play? The University charges for a service i.e. sells knowledge and then based on certain inputs from students tells them how well they understood that knowledge and assess their capacity to create knowledge i.e degree ... I pay for that service but violate the terms of use, service denied, where's the legal case?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.