Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My ex-boyfriend helped me do my coursework! Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Christ, some of the replies on here are proper jack.

ReputationRep:
    LMFAO I come back to TSR to this 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 😂😂😂😂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ishax)
    I sent screenshots of this thread to Cambridge University. I’m sure (if they want to look into it, I’m 98% sure they will want too). They will eventually find out who did it.

I hate cheaters. You deserve everything you get.

One day, eventually you will get your karma. I hope your masters is revoked.

I have no sympathy for you.
    I get what you’re trying to do, but the truth is probably nothing will come of you sending them the screenshots. All you can deduce from them is that she was an international student who studied English at least 5 years ago. They’ll be loads of people who fit that bill and the assignments she handed in were obviously accepted as genuine at the time, otherwise she wouldn’t have graduated. How are Cambridge, just by looking at a past student’s assignment, going to know it wasn’t written by him/her?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amiintrouble)
    I'm in a bit of a fix and trying to figure out if I'm in real trouble. I was in a relationship while studying for my masters at Cambridge University. My start wasn't going too good as I am an international student and was overwhelmed by the University's curriculum as English isn't my first language.

He helped me with the English assessment and did the online test for me. Once I got to University, he helped redraft my post for discussion boards and talked me through engaging in a discussion. He also wrote a few of my assignments, a few meaning three. For things he couldn't help with, he hired ghost writing services to complete my assignment. We did use the submissions but also changed a lot of context to make it relevant. We're broken up now and he once mentioned he will send the emails to the university.

My question is, will the university take him seriously since I've already graduated? Do universities entertain complaints of plagiarism for students that graduated 5 years ago?

I am working with a Fortune 500 company now, wondering if that can affect my employment. Will I lose my degree? Can Cambridge University revoke my degree? Do I need a lawyer? or just expect the worst an pray nothing happens?

I know I did something wrong and I have corrected a lot of my mistakes. This has me troubled and I'm wondering if its better to come forward or just keep wondering?

Any advice would be appreciated, for that want to tell me how wrong this is, I know it is but I've done it already. Just struggling with owning up or letting it go.
    You’ve just admitted the offence online? C’mon at least go anon
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    I get what you’re trying to do, but the truth is probably nothing will come of you sending them the screenshots. All you can deduce from them is that she was an international student who studied English at least 5 years ago. They’ll be loads of people who fit that bill and the assignments she handed in were obviously accepted as genuine at the time, otherwise she wouldn’t have graduated. How are Cambridge, just by looking at a past student’s assignment, going to know it wasn’t written by him/her?
    It depends on Camebridge University policy and whether they want to investigate the matter further. They have plenty of resources and money to do so. Plus, all universities don’t like cheaters so I’m pretty sure they will want to look into it.

I’m not too sure, but can you track IP address by username? You can track where the post was made from which will narrow it down much more.

At the end of the day, one day eventually OP will she what deserves. Earning from a fake masters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ishax)
    It depends on Camebridge University policy and whether they want to investigate the matter further. They have plenty of resources and money to do so. Plus, all universities don’t like cheaters so I’m pretty sure they will want to look into it.

I’m not too sure, but can you track IP address by username? You can track where the post was made from which will narrow it down much more.

At the end of the day, one day eventually OP will she what deserves. Earning from a fake masters.
    I don’t think you can track address by IP, because lots of people employ IP distorters. I really doubt Cambridge would go to that much trouble and the police are hardly going to look into the claim of a random anonymous person on a relatively obscure student website.

A lot worse has been said on this site where the CT actually DID contact the police and still nothing was done, so there’s virtually 0 chance the OP will be caught through this method, unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    calm down they can't do anything. if Ur good at Ur job they won't can't about Ur degree. and there's nothing to prove those emails were urs or not. the chair of the NHS did the same thing and he stayed in his job for 20+ years on a salary above 1 million !
    as I said calm down he can't do anything and please don't be a drama queen because that's annoying . also the data protection act states that establishments can only keep Ur data for 6 months so there will lots of holes in the story which will make impossible to solve . basically your safe so just relax

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kandiman)
    Your employer has, presumably, hired you based upon your fraudulent academic record. Therefore you defrauded your employer, and when they find out they will fire you and they will sue you. And that's before they seek legal fraud charges against you.

Moreover, as you have represented yourself falsely as a Cambridge graduate, you've brought disgrace upon their institution. They could make an extremely good case against you for damaging their reputation.

So, jail-wise, "just" fraud. Which, if memory serves, is only 3-5 years inside. But in terms of civil actions... oh boy... you'll be lucky if you can afford to breathe by the time they're done with you.
    I think this case is slightly different because technically she IS a Cambridge graduate, in that she was actually awarded a Master’s degree and will presumably have the certificate and university records to show it. If someone were to try and prosecute her for cheating then the onus would be on them to prove it, but as far as the university goes, she did actually obtain a degree from them. And so legally speaking, she isn’t being fraudulent by putting that on her CV.

Let’s be honest, she won’t get found out. This happened so long ago and the only evidence there is that she cheated is her post, which can’t even identify who she is, and her ex-boyfriend, whose identity is also unknown and who is unlikely to go through with the threat.

ReputationRep:
    He helped me with the English assessment and did the online test for me. Once I got to University, he helped redraft my post for discussion boards and talked me through engaging in a discussion. He also wrote a few of my assignments, a few meaning three. For things he couldn't help with, he hired ghost writing services to complete my assignment.
    This wasn't just one 'mistake', it was deliberately passing-off of the work of others as yours (on multiple occasions) - something that you should have been sent-down for.

it's quite possible that without cheating, you wouldn't have got a place, and someone else would have. How should they feel?

I know I did something wrong and I have corrected a lot of my mistakes.
    How?

Any advice would be appreciated, for that want to tell me how wrong this is, I know it is but I've done it already. Just struggling with owning up or letting it go.
    I don't know who they will believe or how this will be handled.

ReputationRep:
    I don’t think you can track address by IP, because lots of people employ IP distorters. I really doubt Cambridge would go to that much trouble and the police are hardly going to look into the claim of a random anonymous person on a relatively obscure student website.

A lot worse has been said on this site where the CT actually DID contact the police and still nothing was done, so there’s virtually 0 chance the OP will be caught through this method unfortunately.
    It’s unfortunate for people who actually work hard and earn their degrees. Ah well, karma is a *****.

ReputationRep:
    And I doubt Cambridge are going to ask TSR to breach the DPA to give them any IP details

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonkatt)
    And I doubt Cambridge are going to ask TSR to breach the DPA to give them any IP details
    And furthermore I also doubt Cambridge will go through all of this trouble to spoil their prestigious name. Seriously there is not much to go on about by just looking at some random post by some random person on a random website.

ReputationRep:
    Retard.

ReputationRep:
    he probs won't do it tbh. if he does bring it up, just say he is lying and the emails are fake or u didnt actually use his essays.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a bit of a fix and trying to figure out if I'm in real trouble. I was in a relationship while studying for my masters at Cambridge University. My start wasn't going too good as I am an international student and was overwhelmed by the University's curriculum as English isn't my first language.

He helped me with the English assessment and did the online test for me. Once I got to University, he helped redraft my post for discussion boards and talked me through engaging in a discussion. He also wrote a few of my assignments, a few meaning three. For things he couldn't help with, he hired ghost writing services to complete my assignment. We did use the submissions but also changed a lot of context to make it relevant. We're broken up now and he once mentioned he will send the emails to the university.

My question is, will the university take him seriously since I've already graduated? Do universities entertain complaints of plagiarism for students that graduated 5 years ago?

I am working with a Fortune 500 company now, wondering if that can affect my employment. Will I lose my degree? Can Cambridge University revoke my degree? Do I need a lawyer? or just expect the worst an pray nothing happens?

I know I did something wrong and I have corrected a lot of my mistakes. This has me troubled and I'm wondering if its better to come forward or just keep wondering?

Degrees can be revoked, my teacher knew a UCL PhD student who had his PhD taken away and banned from ever studying there. What you've done can also be considered as fraud.

He's in possession of information that can literally end your career.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VirgoStrain)
    Stop being so moronic. Her ex boyfriend has literally no evidence to go on. Why would he waste his time going through the reporting process? He'll just get interrogated for evidence and he'll end up being punished too for his role in it. Unless he's lost his own mind he won't take the risk. Please ignore what these people are saying OP, your ex isn't a threat to you anymore.
    His punishment would be mild, providing evidence would help his case; jail likely won't happen, him/her's career ending is a good probability.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SomeWelshGuy123)
    How did a cheating **** like you get onto a Cambridge PG course? They shouldn't just revoke your masters, they should revoke your bachelors and leave you homeless so that you have to stand on a street corner for five pounds a shag. You are a disgusting human being who achieved success via cheating.
    That's punishment for cheating being taken to a whole new level mate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GradeA*UnderA)
    His punishment would be mild, providing evidence would help his case; jail likely won't happen, him/her's career ending is a good probability.
    I agree. But this is assuming he reports it. I have no doubts that if the university finds sufficient evidence to revoke her degree that it should be done. But her ex isn't stupid, right? He's well aware of how a) universities tend to not like dealing with cheating reports of past students and b) what a time waster it will be and that he could be caught up in the probable investigation.

OP, I think what you didn't wasn't honest. But that was in the past, and I hope your work ethic and quality lives up to the degree awarded to you. I don't wish for anybody to live in perpetual guilt. I urge you to put this behind you and focus on your life ahead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The RAR)
    And furthermore I also doubt Cambridge will go through all of this trouble to spoil their prestigious name. Seriously there is not much to go on about by just looking at some random post by some random person on a random website.
    It wouldn't spoil their name, it would conserve it; this would show they adhere to a standard of legitimacy. There aren't many people who did an MSc at Cambridge five years ago, probably a couple thousand at the most. I'm pretty sure it would be easy for them to track occupancy information and cross reference occupany.

TL;DR if someone put in the effort, they could **** over OP, because she is traceable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GradeA*UnderA)
    It wouldn't spoil their name, it would conserve it; this would show they adhere to a standard of legitimacy. There aren't many people who did an MSc at Cambridge five years ago, probably a couple thousand at the most. I'm pretty sure it would be easy for them to track occupancy information and cross reference occupany.

TL;DR if someone put in the effort, they could **** over OP, because she is traceable.
    That is only if there is strong evidence to investigate this matter, at the time the OP handed her essays Cambridge considered them genuine, they can't just take someone's word for it that those essays were fake.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.