Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bones-mccoy)
    Hope you're happy with a fake Masters degree that you didn't earn yourself
    Of course she's happy. She has all the advantages of having the degree without having had to work for it. The downside would normally be that she doesn't have the knowledge to back it up, but it could easily be the case that she's working in a field unrelated to her master's, or at least not directly using the material that was the subject of her master's in her particular role.

The idea that 'you're only cheating yourself' when you cheat is usually nonsense. Cheats often derive direct and substantial benefits from their behaviour. That's why it's so looked down upon (as it should be).

(Original post by JohnGreek)
    Cambridge can put 2+2 together. If the anonymous individual who is the OP shares the same material circumstances (degree, bf reported the cheat, graduation year) as someone who's already being investigated by the uni authorities, then it's pretty clear that we're talking about the same person. Besides, gauging from the OP's responses, I'd say that it's obvious that this thread is written by a real person with real concerns.

Either way, this is great drama, and I look forward to reading more about this on national news.
    Personally I think there's at least some chance this is an elaborate trolling effort. This thread was started suspiciously soon after the 'essay mills' discussion, and there is enough obvious sentiment against cheats in that thread to motivate a troll to rile everyone up with something like this.

Besides, if OP isn't a complete moron, she'll have changed minor details in her post. That's if her ex actually does make the report. If he doesn't, she hasn't identified what her master's was in, we can't be certain exactly when she took it, and we don't know her college. If this is a real account I have absolutely no sympathy and I hope OP is stripped of her degree one way or another, but I doubt whether all that much will come of this thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bones-mccoy)
    Hope you're happy with a fake Masters degree that you didn't earn yourself
    Just like everyone that did an undergraduate degree at Cambridge then...
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chief Wiggum)
    Just like everyone that did an undergraduate degree at Cambridge then...
    Are you claiming all Cambridge students get someone else to do their work??
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    Of course she's happy. She has all the advantages of having the degree without having had to work for it. The downside would normally be that she doesn't have the knowledge to back it up, but it could easily be the case that she's working in a field unrelated to her master's, or at least not directly using the material that was the subject of her master's in her particular role.

The idea that 'you're only cheating yourself' when you cheat is usually nonsense. Cheats often derive direct and substantial benefits from their behaviour. That's why it's so looked down upon (as it should be).

Personally I think there's at least some chance this is an elaborate trolling effort. This thread was started suspiciously soon after the 'essay mills' discussion, and there is enough obvious sentiment against cheats in that thread to motivate a troll to rile everyone up with something like this.

Besides, if OP isn't a complete moron, she'll have changed minor details in her post. That's if her ex actually does make the report. If he doesn't, she hasn't identified what her master's was in, we can't be certain exactly when she took it, and we don't know her college. If this is a real account I have absolutely no sympathy and I hope OP is stripped of her degree one way or another, but I doubt whether all that much will come of this thread.
    Her username does sound quite trollish...but yet again she could just be a very ignorant person who lacks any common sense

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shameful_burrito)
    Are you claiming all Cambridge students get someone else to do their work??
    Nope, I was making a probably unclear joke about the MA Cantab.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ishax)
    I sent screenshots of this thread to Cambridge University. I’m sure (if they want to look into it, I’m 98% sure they will want too). They will eventually find out who did it.

I hate cheaters. You deserve everything you get.

One day, eventually you will get your karma. I hope your masters is revoked.

I have no sympathy for you.
    As much as I dislike cheating (since it basically spits in the face of all those who attained success by their own merit), you are the biggest arse in this thread, by far.

You're like a really crappy vigilante. Get off your frigging high horse.

People like you make mobs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kagutsuchi)
    As much as I dislike cheating (since it basically spits in the face of all those who attained success by their own merit), you are the biggest arse in this thread, by far.

You're like a really crappy vigilante. Get off your frigging high horse.

People like you make mobs.
    Are you a cheater aswell? I hope you get caught

If OP accepted her mistakes, then it would be a different situation. She’s trying to make excuses for her actions.

Quite frankly, I don’t care about your opinion. Make your post, then leave. Why quote me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnGreek)
    Cambridge can put 2+2 together. If the anonymous individual who is the OP shares the same material circumstances (degree, bf reported the cheat, graduation year) as someone who's already being investigated by the uni authorities, then it's pretty clear that we're talking about the same person. Besides, gauging from the OP's responses, I'd say that it's obvious that this thread is written by a real person with real concerns.

Either way, this is great drama, and I look forward to reading more about this on national news.
    Still don’t see how these screenshots endanger the OP in any way when the information is so vague. They in no way even come close to revealing her identity and she clearly hasn’t previously been investigated by Cambridge as she was awarded what they believed to be a genuine degree.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ishax)
    Make your post, then leave.
    You could of done the same, instead of taking the situation in your own hands. Why does it matter to you what others do? If OP cheated that's her problem. Whether that will have repercussions or not, it should't matter to you; it doesn't affect your life in any way. You might hate cheaters, you might hate this or that, but they are everywhere and you should just focus on your own life instead.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ishax)

If OP accepted her mistakes, then it would be a different situation. She’s trying to make excuses for her actions.

Quite frankly, I don’t care about your opinion. Make your post, then leave. Why quote me?
    This is a public forum, the point is to get into discussion and if people disagree with you then they are well within their rights to quote you.

ReputationRep:
    You could of done the same, instead of taking the situation in your own hands. Why does it matter to you what others do? If OP cheated that's her problem. Whether that will have repercussions or not, it should't matter to you; it doesn't affect your life in any way. You might hate cheaters, you might hate this or that, but they are everywhere and you should just focus on your own life instead.
    If you go through the thread, I’ve approximateky made 2 posts then left I’ve been quoted, then responded.

If people didn’t quote me, then I wouldn’t have to respond.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    This is a public forum, the point is to get into discussion and if people disagree with you then they are well within their rights to quote you.
    I’m free to state my opinion. If people disagree then that’s their problem, not mine.

If I get quoted, I obviously going to respond and make my point? Yet I’m not being helpful.. Ah well! Life goes on

ReputationRep:
    people do get jailed for using a fake degree to get work. im only aware of this in nursing and medicine. but im sure it applies across all sectors. the case ive heard about the nhs claims all the wages paid back. the person gets made to pay it all back and did jail time. if i remember rightly they even lost a home.

your obviously not entitled to the masters so every act that you have used it for is an act of misrepresentation. another criminal offence.

Cambridge itself could call the police. they would revoke your masters. you admit you committed at least 5 acts of fraud including having another do an entry test. if this is true its and they find out they would have no choice but to go after you.
    all you can dois hope he has no proof copies of the fake essays reciepts for essays bought emails ect. if not your pretty safe. if he does and sends them your going to be done because its so blatant. one essay they may not bother with but nearly a full masters nope. if your employer finds out your sacked and then your chance of court goes up a lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ishax)

I started the reply by saying I dislike cheating - you're an intelligent one, I see.

The difference between you and me, is that I know my boundaries. I know if someone comes onto a public forum to discuss something bad they have done which has really harmed no one, I won't lynch them like a complete ass.

Hey, everyone, get a load of the sanctimonious executioner. Really, your bitterness is indicative of thin ego. Get over yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paulbarlow)
    people do get jailed for using a fake degree to get work. im only aware of this in nursing and medicine. but im sure it applies across all sectors. the case ive heard about the nhs claims all the wages paid back. the person gets made to pay it all back and did jail time. if i remember rightly they even lost a home.

your obviously not entitled to the masters so every act that you have used it for is an act of misrepresentation. another criminal offence.

Cambridge itself could call the police. they would revoke your masters. you admit you committed at least 5 acts of fraud including having another do an entry test. if this is true its and they find out they would have no choice but to go after you.
    all you can dois hope he has no proof copies of the fake essays reciepts for essays bought emails ect. if not your pretty safe. if he does and sends them your going to be done because its so blatant. one essay they may not bother with but nearly a full masters nope. if your employer finds out your sacked and then your chance of court goes up a lot.
    But she does have a degree from Cambridge. It's not one she earned through her own merit, but she has one nonetheless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    Still don’t see how these screenshots endanger the OP in any way when the information is so vague. They in no way even come close to revealing her identity and she clearly hasn’t previously been investigated by Cambridge as she was awarded what they believed to be a genuine degree.
    Ah, that's where the uncertainty comes in.

If the OP was investigated as a result of her bf's report, then the screenshots could be further evidence that could be added to an existing case file against her. There's a lot of the OP's personal stuff in this thread, enough for her to be matched to a real person.

On the other hand, if no investigation is under way, then I agree that they won't think of starting an investigation just because of a screenshot of a TSR thread. I imagine that they need more substantial accusations and evidence than what is offered here.

(Side Note: Why didn't Ishax send a link to the thread? Screenshots can be faked by anyone, TSR threads can't)

ReputationRep:
    I hope he reports you! Cheating is awful and that is basically his Masters, not yours, how shameful.

ReputationRep:
    I hope for your sake that you're just a troll. If you're a troll, then please get a life. If you're not a troll, then I hope you haven't actually used your "degree" to get a job because that's going to land you in real trouble.

Why did you cheat, may I ask? I know you're an "International student" so English isn't your first language...but if you're a genuine person, you're obviously an able person for getting into Cambridge in the first place.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kagutsuchi)
    But she does have a degree from Cambridge. It's not one she earned through her own merit, but she has one nonetheless.
    Funny how she got away with this at Cambridge. Goes to show people will get away with cheating anywhere really...it's sad

ReputationRep:
    You could of done the same, instead of taking the situation in your own hands. Why does it matter to you what others do? If OP cheated that's her problem.
    It's not her problem though. It's her benefit.

I wouldn't have bothered reporting anything myself, but the sight of many posters laying into this guy in defence of some fraudster who was stupid enough to post about it publicly is sort of weird.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.