Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    It's not her problem though. It's her benefit.

I wouldn't have bothered reporting anything myself, but the sight of many posters laying into this guy in defence of some fraudster who was stupid enough to post about it publicly is sort of weird.
    tbh I think both are just as bad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shameful_burrito)
    How is it her benefit? And tbh I think both are just as bad
    Err, she gets to represent to the world that she has a master's degree from Cambridge, and this probably helped her secure the job she claims to have in a large company?

I'm sorry but the idea that it's as bad to report someone for running a scam as it is to run the scam in the first place is just bizarre.

(Original post by amiintrouble)
      I'm in a bit of a fix and trying to figure out if I'm in real trouble. I was in a relationship while studying for my masters at Cambridge University. My start wasn't going too good as I am an international student and was overwhelmed by the University's curriculum as English isn't my first language.

He helped me with the English assessment and did the online test for me. Once I got to University, he helped redraft my post for discussion boards and talked me through engaging in a discussion. He also wrote a few of my assignments, a few meaning three. For things he couldn't help with, he hired ghost writing services to complete my assignment. We did use the submissions but also changed a lot of context to make it relevant. We're broken up now and he once mentioned he will send the emails to the university.

My question is, will the university take him seriously since I've already graduated? Do universities entertain complaints of plagiarism for students that graduated 5 years ago?

I am working with a Fortune 500 company now, wondering if that can affect my employment. Will I lose my degree? Can Cambridge University revoke my degree? Do I need a lawyer? or just expect the worst an pray nothing happens?

I know I did something wrong and I have corrected a lot of my mistakes. This has me troubled and I'm wondering if its better to come forward or just keep wondering?

Any advice would be appreciated, for that want to tell me how wrong this is, I know it is but I've done it already. Just struggling with owning up or letting it go.

It sounds like your boyfriend is trying to blackmail you.

ReputationRep:
      I'm not sure I believe every word in the OP, but if a troll, it's quite a well worked out one.

If true, OP managed to get through interview and notwithstanding some material assistance at key points, continued and evidently did well on the course. It's hard to interpret this as anything other than a successful partial gaming of the Cambridge entrance system and points to continued success on the part of OP in the exciting world of management consulting, where I'm sure her particular skillset will gain maximum rewards.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by JohanGRK)
      Ah, that's where the uncertainty comes in.

If the OP was investigated as a result of her bf's report, then the screenshots could be further evidence that could be added to an existing case file against her. There's a lot of the OP's personal stuff in this thread, enough for her to be matched to a real person.

On the other hand, if no investigation is under way, then I agree that they won't think of starting an investigation just because of a screenshot of a TSR thread. I imagine that they need more substantial accusations and evidence than what is offered here.

(Side Note: Why didn't Ishax send a link to the thread? Screenshots can be faked by anyone, TSR threads can't)
      I sent both

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Ishax)
      I sent both
      :rofl:

Have Cambridge replied?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
      It's not her problem though. It's her benefit.

I wouldn't have bothered reporting anything myself, but the sight of many posters laying into this guy in defence of some fraudster who was stupid enough to post about it publicly is sort of weird.
      I’m a girl, but OP has made it public and didn’t make the thread anonymous.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
      :rofl:

Have Cambridge replied?
      Nope. Still waiting haha!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Ishax)
      I’m a girl, but OP has made it public and didn’t make the thread anonymous.
      The thread being "anonymous" is only relevant on TSR, not real life.

ReputationRep:
      I don't think anyone goes to jail for cheating. Not at University anyway, because you pay for it. You can get denied degree but jail would require that I scammed someone. Here, I scammed myself. Which is bad enough I think.
      What about your employer, to whom you represented the veracity of your academic qualifications, and thus misled them into offering you a job?

ReputationRep:
      I'm in a bit of a fix and trying to figure out if I'm in real trouble. I was in a relationship while studying for my masters at Cambridge University. My start wasn't going too good as I am an international student and was overwhelmed by the University's curriculum as English isn't my first language.

He helped me with the English assessment and did the online test for me. Once I got to University, he helped redraft my post for discussion boards and talked me through engaging in a discussion. He also wrote a few of my assignments, a few meaning three. For things he couldn't help with, he hired ghost writing services to complete my assignment. We did use the submissions but also changed a lot of context to make it relevant. We're broken up now and he once mentioned he will send the emails to the university.

My question is, will the university take him seriously since I've already graduated? Do universities entertain complaints of plagiarism for students that graduated 5 years ago?

I am working with a Fortune 500 company now, wondering if that can affect my employment. Will I lose my degree? Can Cambridge University revoke my degree? Do I need a lawyer? or just expect the worst an pray nothing happens?

I know I did something wrong and I have corrected a lot of my mistakes. This has me troubled and I'm wondering if its better to come forward or just keep wondering?

Any advice would be appreciated, for that want to tell me how wrong this is, I know it is but I've done it already. Just struggling with owning up or letting it go.
      If this is true, how the **** did a retard like you get into Cambridge University? Christ...why would you post this on a public forum and basically admit it. Do you not think that if your boyfriend did snitch and Cambridge conveniently found this post lying around on the web which matched the reports of his snitching, that they would use this as confirmation that the allegations are true? My advice to you is to go do what it takes to placate your ex, even if it's humiliating. Lol there's no deleting this post, you've ****ed yourself and put yourself at the mercy of your ex boyfriend. He has the upper hand now.

ReputationRep:
      he once mentioned he will send the emails to the university.
      He's unlikely to do anything about it, he's also in the wrong and is equally accountable for it if they find he helped create fraudulent assignments
      • Community Assistant
      • Political Ambassador
      • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
      He probably won't because he will get into trouble too. Even if he does, I'm struggling to find my sympathy for you.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Ishax)
      If Cambridge doesn't reply within one week then they obviously don't care. If her Masters wasn't a serious one like Engineering or Pharmacy then I would just sweep this incident under the carpet and forget it about it. Besides if she is having a good life then there is no point to try and ruin her life, if she does get caught then that's her problem. Taking matters(Which didn't affect you whatsoever) into your own hands is just absurd.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Ishax)
      your actually a nasty person for reporting OP, your messing with someones life, yes what she did was a terrible thing but how the hell is some randomer such as yourself instigating this further going to help the situation.

I sure as hell hope one day you are in a similar predicament because then you will know how it feels for random *******s like yourself to interfere and meddle in your life

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by maths_geek234)
      your actually a nasty person for reporting OP, your messing with someones life, yes what she did was a terrible thing but how the hell is some randomer such as yourself instigating this further going to help the situation.

I sure as hell hope one day you are in a similar predicament because then you will know how it feels for random *******s like yourself to interfere and meddle in your life
      Interfere and meddle, they posted it on a public forum without being anonymous?

Quite frankly I don’t give a **** about someone who wants to defend a cheater. I couldn’t care less about you either. You’re irrelevant to me.

Surprise surprise, I still don’t have any sympathy.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by The RAR)
      If Cambridge doesn't reply within one week then they obviously don't care. If her Masters wasn't a serious one like Engineering or Pharmacy then I would just sweep this incident under the carpet and forget it about it. Besides if she is having a good life then there is no point to try and ruin her life, if she does get caught then that's her problem. Taking matters(Which didn't affect you whatsoever) into your own hands is just absurd.
      I suppose that’s true.

She’s having a good life earning money from a fake masters at Camebridge University. Must be a very pleasant and happy life.

It’s not that hard to screenshot and send an email, took less than 5 minutes. Ah well, my choice on what I wanted to do.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Ishax)

Quite frankly I don’t give a **** about someone who wants to defend a cheater. I couldn’t care less about you either. You’re irrelevant to me.

How is not being anonymous make a difference? We don't know who the OP really is or their real name.

ReputationRep:
      My heart broke because someone with an opportunity at a university such as Cambridge decided to cheat

I understand your situation but you really trapped yourself putting this on here...

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Ishax)

LOL, funnily enough I don't give a **** about you either, up until the point when you think it's okay to quite literally destroy someone's life, and i am in no way defending her, I myself said she had done a terrible thing and do not condone her actions.

I think personally your just jealous because your actions are despicable as a human being, she was clever enough to get into Cambridge, you carry on with whatever degree your doing because like you said 'Karma is a *****' and trust me later on in your life you'll end up in a worse situation so actually OP and I and every person on this thread who has had something decent to say in regards to this matter will be laughing at you then

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.