Football
    Table tennis
    Social enterprises
    Volunteering in neuro-disability hospital

ReputationRep:
    Home/international: Home
    GCSEs: 9A*
    Deferred?: No
    A-level predictions A*A*A (B in AS french)
    BMAT: N/A
    Work experience:
    Day at GP
    Day at Paediatrics
    1 week A&E
    1 week cardiology
    Extra-curricular:
    Hockey captain
    Running school science clubs
    Volunteering with disabled
    Volunteering with the elderly (care home)
    etc

Look, I'm not gonna beat around the bush, most people have these sort of stats and they're good stats too i guess, HOWEVER- my bmat scores are abysmal at the moment. With a bad BMAT, what are my chances? Many thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ionicbond)
    Work experience:
    Day at GP
    Day at Paediatrics
    1 week A&E
    1 week cardiology
    Extra-curricular:
    Hockey captain
    etc

Look, I'm not gonna beat around the bush, most people have these sort of stats and they're good stats too i guess, HOWEVER- my bmat scores are abysmal at the moment. With a bad BMAT, what are my chances? Many thanks.

What is your definition of "abysmal"? 3.0? 4.0? 5.0? UCL takes a holistic approach and there have people people who got in despite being below average for their year. Unless you're in the low 3s for S1 and S2, I wouldn't worry much. Plus you still have 10 days left

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mac117)
    What is your definition of "abysmal"? 3.0? 4.0? 5.0? UCL takes a holistic approach and there have people people who got in despite being below average for their year. Unless you're in the low 3s for S1 and S2, I wouldn't worry much. Plus you still have 10 days left
    4's ish. which is below average as far as i know and ah thats good, thank you. thats put my mind to rest a bit.

I think i would do better in the long run to use this half term resting more than working as the whole summer i was doing UKCAT! 10 days is far too short to revise and rest haha.

ReputationRep:
    4's ish. which is below average as far as i know and ah thats good, thank you. thats put my mind to rest a bit.

I think i would do better in the long run to use this half term resting more than working as the whole summer i was doing UKCAT! 10 days is far too short to revise and rest haha.
    That's not too bad at all with your stats Just don't let the stress get to you and you will be fine!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Work experience:
    Day at GP
    Day at Paediatrics
    1 week A&E
    1 week cardiology
    Extra-curricular:
    Hockey captain
    etc

With UCL, as far as I'm aware, you just need an average BMAT score to be called to interview and have a good chance of getting in. You have a lot of things going for you besides the BMAT, so don't worry about it too much!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by luckkong123)
    Hey guys!! Do you think I have a competitive chance as UCL?? ITS MY ABSOLUTE dream school I would love to go there What would I need on my BMAT?

Home/International: International
    Deferred?: nope
    IGCSEs: 9A*s and 2 As
    International Baccalaureate Grades (Predicted) or Score: 45/45
    BMAT (if applicable):...
    Work Experience/Volunteering: shadowed both a public and private doctor and some volunteering experience at an elderly care home
    Extra Curricular:
    head girl, student council, sports teams, etc...
    You have a very high chance of success, provided you at least get an average score in the BMAT. How strong is your personal statement, in your opinion? UCL like a good one...

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please guide me on what is required as a 'proof' of work experience? I interned over the summer in a NGO - autistic children, dermatologist and a hospital across diff departments/fields. I read that uni's randomply as a sample ask students to submit a form on the work experience. Can anyone help please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by antonyzac)
    You have a very high chance of success, provided you at least get an average score in the BMAT. How strong is your personal statement, in your opinion? UCL like a good one...
    Hey,

Thanks, I think my PS is quite ranged because I tried to be genuine and put alot of stuff based on my work experience, wider reading and extra curriculars relevant to Medicine. In terms of BMAT im trying very hard with the first section, it is a bit difficult for me but S2 should be around 6/7 range and BMAT essay is usually around 3/4A...But is this sufficient?

ReputationRep:
    Home/International: International
    Deferred?: NO
    GCSEs/IGCSEs: 4A* & 5A (IGSCE)
    A Level Prediction/Results: N/A
    Previous Degree (if applicable):N/A
    International Baccalaureate Grades (Achieved/Predicted) or Score: 39/42 (776 HL)
    UKCAT: 575 (HORRIBLE!!!!!!) Band 2 SJ
    BMAT (if applicable):N/A (will be giving the exam on 2 Nov)
    Work Experience/Volunteering: one day a week last one year volunteering at a NGO (Autistic children), 1 week shadowing a dermatologist,
    2 weeks of shadowing doctors (GP/breast cancer surgeon/dermatolohist) in a large hospital in India
    Extra Curricular: Debates (MUN since year 7 every year), enacting in Drama productions in school, editor school magazine), football
    Unis's applied to: UCL/Leeds/Bristol & Belfast

ReputationRep:
    After you get an interview (touch wood), will offers be given out solely on the performance of the interview, or on the application as a whole, i.e. is everyone on an even playing field after getting the interview?

ReputationRep:
    Do they invite you to an interview by email? Because my portal didn't work last year and so I assumed I didn't get invited, since I didn't get an email

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bzm1999)
    Do they invite you to an interview by email? Because my portal didn't work last year and so I assumed I didn't get invited, since I didn't get an email
    Yep I'm pretty sure they send an email, and then ask you to confirm on the portal.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by luckkong123)
    Hey,

Thanks, I think my PS is quite ranged because I tried to be genuine and put alot of stuff based on my work experience, wider reading and extra curriculars relevant to Medicine. In terms of BMAT im trying very hard with the first section, it is a bit difficult for me but S2 should be around 6/7 range and BMAT essay is usually around 3/4A...But is this sufficient?
    As long as you get the average for the year you sit it, it is fine! Provided the rest of your application is strong.

(Original post by bzm1999)
    You will get an email

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I am a first year medical student at UCL. I know how you guys are feeling at the moment. Let me know if you have any questions I will answer them as much as I can. DM me if you don't want to ask in the forum.

ReputationRep:
    Any other Grads here? Finished my undergrad in Biochem at UCL and doing my Master's there again this year. GL with the BMAT everyone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MarkLane_9)
    Any other Grads here? Finished my undergrad in Biochem at UCL and doing my Master's there again this year. GL with the BMAT everyone
    I'm a UCL Biomed grad applying...there were a lot from my year who transferred to UCL med after finishing biomed. I've heard UCL has a big grad intake compared to a lot of other A100 courses...around 40 grads I think, which is large compared to the average 15-20 for most undergrad med courses.

ReputationRep:
    Yer I heard a lot of ppl from biological science/biomed degrees end up getting offers from UCL. Think I was subscribed to the wrong UCL 2018 entry group all this time XD

ReputationRep:
    Bmat...welp :s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aspiringsword)
    bmat...welp :s
    section 1 was hell.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.