That was awful

ReputationRep:
    How are my chances looking?:

International
    Undergrad Medicine/Non-deffered
    Igcse's: 7 a* 2a
    IB Predicted: 44/45
    BMAT: Wrote it today
    Work experience: 3 weeks shadowing each at 3 different multi specialty hospitals, 2 weeks pharmacy and A&E, Orphanage, Hospice, Part of VT-SEVA(NGO) For 4 years
    Extracurriculus:
    State basketball, basketball captain, prefect, american football nationals, piano, travelling, olympiads (won state and national awards), IB Extende essay on spine curvature, pretty good PS.

ReputationRep:
    Damn you guys have good applications. How did you get so much work experience in clinical settings?

ReputationRep:
    Home/International: Home
    Deferred?: No
    GCSEs: 8A*s 3As
    A Level Prediction/Results: A*AA
    BMAT (if applicable): Did it today!
    Work Experience/Volunteering: Four years as a young leader, 1 month at a nursery, 1 week at sexual health charity, 1 week at hospital, various other experiences with local medical school
    Extra Curricular: Grade 6 musical theatre exams, drama group, school council, write blogs for a studying site

ReputationRep:
    How does UCL look at the BMAT?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MarkLane_9)
    How does UCL look at the BMAT?
    They don't place a huge emphasis, I think personal statement is more important to them and if you have good GCSEs then they might not scrutinise your BMAT as much, although I think they reject anyone who doesn't have at least 2.5 in the essay. Sadly I'm not entirely sure if my PS will be good enough to make up for a mediocre BMAT.

ReputationRep:
    UCL looks at both ur BMAT and PS . In terms of BMAT scores they calculate an average for each section based on everyone who has applied. BUT THEY DO NOT USE THAT AS CUT OFF
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    AH BMAT I hope UCL looks at candidates overall :/

ReputationRep:
    Do UCL really reject anyone with less than 2.5A in essay?? Worried now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DvsAmjed)
    I was going through a spreadsheet from 2015 and that appeared to be the case. https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...on_statisti_36

ReputationRep:
    It’s not a given, but in 2016 out of 180 people who scored 2A in the essay only 6 got interviews...

ReputationRep:
    So they take an avg of section1 and 2 when they look at your application, just worried that section 1 let me down :/ Think my essay wasn't too bad. Do ppl know hwo muhc they go through your essay before interview?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MarkLane_9)
    So they take an avg of section1 and 2 when they look at your application, just worried that section 1 let me down :/ Think my essay wasn't too bad. Do ppl know hwo muhc they go through your essay before interview?
    The essay is a basis for your interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mac117)
    It’s not a given, but in 2016 out of 180 people who scored 2A in the essay only 6 got interviews...
    What if you have good GCSE grades and a mediocre S1 and S2 but you fail the essay with like a 2A? Would you have a chance? Surely they wouldn't reject you if you had a really good application but just flopped in one part of a test... right?

ReputationRep:
    What if you have good GCSE grades and a mediocre S1 and S2 but you fail the essay with like a 2A? Would you have a chance? Surely they wouldn't reject you if you had a really good application but just flopped in one part of a test... right?
    That's what I'm worried about too, the more I think about my essay the more worried I get about getting less than 3/2.5 ffs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mosam00)
    That's what I'm worried about too, the more I think about my essay the more worried I get about getting less than 3/2.5 ffs.
    Hopefully they won't care too much. I doubt if you get like 5s in S1 and S2 and like 10A* they will reject just for a bad essay. But you never know... tbf my essay wasn't very good I answered the 3rd question about the age if as a disease and I didn't really understand so I just said some bs.

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully they won't care too much. I doubt if you get like 5s in S1 and S2 and like 10A* they will reject just for a bad essay. But you never know... tbf my essay wasn't very good I answered the 3rd question about the age if as a disease and I didn't really understand so I just said some bs.
    I answered the 3rd question too and am worried I completely misinterpreted it and didn't explain any of my points well at all. Also, I think I could get 5s in section 1 purely because of low grade boundaries, but I'm worried I'll slip into 4s in section 2 :/ so I really can't afford anything less than 3 in the essay ffs. I answered all parts of the question and apparently that's what you need to do for a 3 but I'm honestly not sure :/.

ReputationRep:
    I mean I can only speculate, as I have nothing to do with admissions :/ You Can look at the FOI requests from 2016 and 2015 and see for yourself. Don’t want to spread false information!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Siddharthk)
    How are my chances looking?:

International
    Undergrad Medicine/Non-deffered
    Igcse's: 7 a* 2a
    IB Predicted: 44/45
    BMAT: Wrote it today
    Work experience: 3 weeks shadowing each at 3 different multi specialty hospitals, 2 weeks pharmacy and A&E, Orphanage, Hospice, Part of VT-SEVA(NGO) For 4 years
    Extracurriculus:
    State basketball, basketball captain, prefect, american football nationals, piano, travelling, olympiads (won state and national awards), IB Extende essay on spine curvature, pretty good PS.
    Didn't you already take the BMAT in Sep and get like a high score? Why are you worried then? And why bother to write the BMAT again? Major LOL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AspiringSword)
    Didn't you already take the BMAT in Sep and get like a high score? Why are you worried then? And why bother to write the BMAT again? Major LOL.
    i thought you can't take the bmat twice???

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.