Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

UCL Medicine 2018 Entry Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MarkLane_9)
    Probably a busy time for them, if they haven't replied in a week I would call or email them again.
    Actually, yea that might be it.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone also applied to a non-medicine course at UCL? I feel that the non-medicine offers are coming and I am just worried if it's okay to apply for two courses at the same uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sailin)
    Anyone also applied to a non-medicine course at UCL? I feel that the non-medicine offers are coming and I am just worried if it's okay to apply for two courses at the same uni.
    I did, I applied for biomedical sciences as well as Medicine. What did you apply for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ozmo19)
    I did, I applied for biomedical sciences as well as Medicine. What did you apply for?
    I applied for human sciences, which is a mixture of natural and social sciences. One thing my lab experience has taught me is that I definitely don't like a pure lab-based subject so I guess human science is what I'd really like to study even though it's very risky.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by luckkong123)
    Hey guys!! Do you think I have a competitive chance as UCL?? ITS MY ABSOLUTE dream school I would love to go there What would I need on my BMAT?

Home/International: International
    Deferred?: nope
    IGCSEs: 9A*s and 2 As
    International Baccalaureate Grades (Predicted) or Score: 45/45
    BMAT (if applicable):...
    Work Experience/Volunteering: shadowed both a public and private doctor and some volunteering experience at an elderly care home
    Extra Curricular:
    head girl, student council, sports teams, etc...
    great stats! which region are you from?

ReputationRep:
    IGCSEs: 11A* 1A
    International Baccalaureate Grades (Predicted): school policy to not reveal PGs but I can safely assume 43+
    UKCAT: 2910 SJ1
    BMAT (if applicable):... (praying for atleast 6 6 3A)
    Work Experience/Volunteering: a few days each at operating theatres, paediatric dermatology and oncology in local hospitals
    Volunteered at a Clinic play programme for 6 months, Down Syndrome Association for 6 months and currently volunteering at a moral home for disabled adults (about 3 months in)
    Extra Curricular: head girl, editor in chief for yearbook, journalism for a local newspaper, Model United Nations (12 conferences) including chairing+ deputy sec gen, 14 years classical music, etc..

I'm really scared for BMAT though... had to guess like 6 questions in section 1 and my essay was average. Anyone else found BMAT hard? I hope the thresholds are lower. The past papers were much easier compared to this year honestly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happypie)
    great stats! which region are you from?
    Thank you, you too!! I'm from Hong Kong

ReputationRep:

I'm really scared for BMAT though... had to guess like 6 questions in section 1 and my essay was average. Anyone else found BMAT hard? I hope the thresholds are lower. The past papers were much easier compared to this year honestly.
    boi try guessing 10+ questions on S1 :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Has someone else received the request from UCL for the list of placements undertaken?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barbarabac)
    Has someone else received the request from UCL for the list of placements undertaken?
    I haven't do they send it all out at once?

ReputationRep:
    I have applied to Medicinal Chemistry addtionally to Medicine. Actually, yesterday I have recieved the request for a personal statement tailored for Medicinal Chemistry. Maybe someone has faced a similar situation?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I have applied to Medicinal Chemistry addtionally to Medicine. Actually, yesterday I have recieved the request for a personal statement tailored for Medicinal Chemistry. Maybe someone has faced a similar situation?
    Not me but I saw a few people in other threads who have been ask for a new personal statement for their 5th choice - I think they applied to ICL and Manchester. So yeah, it's not uncommon especially at the more competitive universities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MarkLane_9)
    I haven't do they send it all out at once?
    DW it’s sort of a random thing they don’t ask that to everyone
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I hope they'll let me have a separate ps for human sciences. Manchester asked for a non-academic info form when I applied for its medicine course so it's not just the fifth choices.

ReputationRep:
    International Baccalaureate Grades (Predicted): school policy to not reveal PGs but I can safely assume 43+
    Work Experience/Volunteering: a few days each at operating theatres, paediatric dermatology and oncology in local hospitals
    Volunteered at a Clinic play programme for 6 months, Down Syndrome Association for 6 months and currently volunteering at a moral home for disabled adults (about 3 months in)
    Extra Curricular: head girl, editor in chief for yearbook, journalism for a local newspaper, Model United Nations (12 conferences) including chairing+ deputy sec gen, 14 years classical music, etc..

Amazing stats! And how did you even manage that many EC activities?

ReputationRep:

You're scared about 6 questions loool I guessed like half the paper ffs. Considering everyone found that paper awful, the grade boundaries will be low and you only guessing 6 questions will probably mean you still end up with over a 6. Also your extracurriculars put me to shame and UCL consider everything so even if your BMAT scores aren't what you want, you still stand a chance.

ReputationRep:
    Amazing stats! And how did you even manage that many EC activities?
    Hehe thanks so much I just did what I genuinely enjoyed, so didn't take the approach of "do it for the application". Then again, places for international apps are severely limited so still need to keep fingers crossed!

ReputationRep:
    I have sent an email to the whole faculty asking if it would hinder my chance to be admitted by UCL, the answer is NO.
    I Have applied to both UCL medicine and Biomed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crgsprisoner)
    I have sent an email to the whole faculty asking if it would hinder my chance to be admitted by UCL, the answer is NO.
    I Have applied to both UCL medicine and Biomed
    I have applied for UCL Med and Biomed too. Have you heard back about biomed yet or know when we can expect to hear back?

ReputationRep:
    Alright so essentially bricking it for friday.

What's the likelihood of me completely having ruined my chances of an interview from UCL due to bad bmat results? I have 11 A* at GCSE, around 3 months worth of work experience in different settings (biomed labs, hospitals, care homes) a years worth of volunteering at a nursing home, senior prefect, extracurricular sport at a competitive level etc.

I feel like my S1 score is going to be a 3 max.

UCL was the dream.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.