Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Undergraduate entry 11 years after my A-levels? UKCAT 705 Watch

ReputationRep:
    UKCAT 705 (2820) with Band2 in 2017

Received A-level grades in 2006: Biology A, Physics A, Chemistry A, Maths A
    Have been working since my A-levels. Working with people and also in a care setting.

Can I apply to study medicine for undergrad 2018 entry?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Science Fiction)

Have been working since my A-levels. Working with people and also in a care setting.

If you meet the entry requirements and your scores and still valid go for it!

ReputationRep:

Absolutely you can apply! The only issue you may have is that student finance gets quite tricky if you're over 25.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LRxS)
    Absolutely you can apply! The only issue you may have is that student finance gets quite tricky if you're over 25.
    Can you please specify how it gets tricky? Tuition fees are my biggest concern.

ReputationRep:
    I'm afraid I don't know exactly, but I think the application process is more complex, and I think the funding you're entitled to is different. Probably best to phone student finance and check.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LRxS)
    I'm afraid I don't know exactly, but I think the application process is more complex, and I think the funding you're entitled to is different. Probably best to phone student finance and check.
    Actually, if they're over 25 and not married it is a lot simpler.

If you've had no student loans before, tuition fees will definitely be covered. As you're over 25, you'll be classed as an independant student (unless you're married), so its assessed on your income. And I don't know if it still stands, but when you're applying for later years, as you will be a full time student you are not required to declare any additional income so you should qualify for maximum support (as I did on the grad course).

NHS student finance come year 5 is a bit trickier, but it might not even still be covered by then so I wouldn't worry about it now.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.