Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Are there any charitable bursaries I can apply for as a 52 year old mature undergraduate? I know the Snowden trust awards funds to disabled students as I have a friend who is blind in receipt of one. Is there anything of this nature for older students ?
    I'm also Dyspraxic and have been awarded funds to buy a laptop and the software however , I have had to contribute £200 towards this . My gas boiler broke over the summer and I did not have the money to pay for its repair / replacement despite working full time over the summer recess .I had to become overdrawn in my bank account to pay for its repair - I don't have a student bank account because the banks said I had a poor credit score ( because I was debt free ). So I was charged for the overdraft. Now I am in debt and only eating 4 days a week to pay back the debt and living a pretty miserable existence in what should be my final successful year at UAL ( fine art )
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DavidaH)
    Are there any charitable bursaries I can apply for as a 52 year old mature undergraduate? I know the Snowden trust awards funds to disabled students as I have a friend who is blind in receipt of one. Is there anything of this nature for older students ?
    I'm also Dyspraxic and have been awarded funds to buy a laptop and the software however , I have had to contribute £200 towards this . My gas boiler broke over the summer and I did not have the money to pay for its repair / replacement despite working full time over the summer recess .I had to become overdrawn in my bank account to pay for its repair - I don't have a student bank account because the banks said I had a poor credit score ( because I was debt free ). So I was charged for the overdraft. Now I am in debt and only eating 4 days a week to pay back the debt and living a pretty miserable existence in what should be my final successful year at UAL ( fine art )
    Have you talked to your uni? There are grants from your uni if you're struggling financially.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DavidaH)
    Hi DavidaH,

Sorry to hear about the issues your're facing. We're unable to advise on other funding sources but I'd suggest having a chat with student support at your university. They should be able to at least point you in the right direction.

Regards,

Stuart

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stuart SFE)
    Hi DavidaH,

Sorry to hear about the issues your're facing. We're unable to advise on other funding sources but I'd suggest having a chat with student support at your university. They should be able to at least point you in the right direction.

Regards,

Stuart
    Thanks I will ask tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    Have you talked to your uni? There are grants from your uni if you're struggling financially.
    Thanks I have asked about student hardship fund but because I am working part time I don't fit the criteria at the institution I am at. But thank you anyway .

Submit reply
TSR Support Team
Updated: October 11, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.