Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Already started a degree but want to change course. Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm already doing a 3 year degree and have started the first year.

I want to change to a 4 year degree (1st year is a foundation year) next year. I don't have a suitable level 3 to gain entry without the foundation year.

Will I get the full 4 years funded (- the "gift year") after I've completed the first year of the 3 year?

Anyone ever had any problems doing this?

As I understand it if I'd got on the 4 year degree initially I would have still had a gift year spare, which I won't have now.

I'll complete the first year of this degree incase I have any problems getting finance for the 4 year.

Thanks.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blackcat47)
    I'm already doing a 3 year degree and have started the first year.

I want to change to a 4 year degree (1st year is a foundation year) next year. I don't have a suitable level 3 to gain entry without the foundation year.

Will I get the full 4 years funded (- the "gift year" after I've completed the first year of the 3 year?

Anyone ever had any problems doing this?

As I understand it if I'd got on the 4 year degree initially I would have still had a gift year spare, which I won't have now.

I'll complete the first year of this degree incase I have any problems getting finance for the 4 year.

Thanks.
    If the degrees are similar, you may be able to use the first year of this degree as entry requirements for the new degree. So you may not need to complete the foundation year - speak to the uni and ask.

With finance, you would be fine if the foundation year is an integrated part of the degree. This means that you would have applied for a 4 year degree, and would be guaranteed to go onto a specific degree afterwards. If you need to complete the foundation year and then apply for the degree you would not have enough funding - and you will not have enough funding for another change of mind.

ReputationRep:
    The degrees are similar. I contacted them and they said they would consider depending on my grades.

Yes it's an integrated part of the degree so I should be ok for the finance. Hopefully the uni accept the completed first year though saving me the trouble of doing a year of level 3.

Thanks.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.