Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why would a university revoke a degree Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    A friend told me his degree got revoked but he never ended up telling me why it did get revoked
    so does anyone know why one would get a degree revoked
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Plagiarism is probably most likely
    Although breaking the university’s code of conduct could also be a reason ie criminal activity that comes to light after graduation
    If you really need to know, ask him

ReputationRep:
    Any responses on here are speculative, just ask your friend.

ReputationRep:
    Plagiarism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sammylou40)
    Plagiarism is probably most likely
    Although breaking the university’s code of conduct could also be a reason ie criminal activity that comes to light after graduation
    If you really need to know, ask him
    I wouldnt want to seem to pry and he has made it very clear he doesnt want to tell any of us (his other friends) when we brought it up he seemed to be very defensive about it all and ohhh i see

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King Leonidas)
    Any responses on here are speculative, just ask your friend.
    I wouldnt want to seem to pry and my friend got very defensive when i tryed to ask him why

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ishax)
    Plagiarism.
    wouldnt plagiarism have been spotted when he handed in his work though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liam189)
    wouldnt plagiarism have been spotted when he handed in his work though
    Not if he hired one of those essay mills to write it.

ReputationRep:
    detection of plagiarism or 'academic misconduct' of some sort would be the main reasons for revoking a degree.

Buuut I'd be suspecting he flunked the degree outright and is now B/S ing everyone to explain why he doesn't have a degree...but if he doesn't want to talk about it I'd not push him on it.

AFAIK it's really pretty unusual to revoke a degree that's been awarded - the LSE revoked Gadaffi's son's PhD after quite a large media uproar, but they didn't seem to want to do it and acted like they'd have been quite happy to let him get away with it if they'd been able to keep it low key.

ReputationRep:
    A friend told me his degree got revoked but he never ended up telling me why it did get revoked
    so does anyone know why one would get a degree revoked
    Revoking a degree is pretty uncommon it would usually be if he was found to have cheated in some way after graduation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    detection of plagiarism or 'academic misconduct' of some sort would be the main reasons for revoking a degree.

Buuut I'd be suspecting he flunked the degree outright and is now B/S ing everyone to explain why he doesn't have a degree...but if he doesn't want to talk about it I'd not push him on it.

AFAIK it's really pretty unusual to revoke a degree that's been awarded - the LSE revoked Gadaffi's son's PhD after quite a large media uproar, but they didn't seem to want to do it and acted like they'd have been quite happy to let him get away with it if they'd been able to keep it low key.
    I’d rather fail knowing it was my best efforts than be labelled a cheat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)

ohhh i see i was suprised that he got so defensive about it he has been BSing certain people about it thats
    i was so suprised about it and his reaction to me asking about it i dont want to push him as he is clearly ashamed about what happend but i dont see why he has to lie to us about it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonathanemptage)
    Revoking a degree is pretty uncommon it would usually be if he was found to have cheated in some way after graduation.
    ohhhh i see i think plagairism would be the most likely explanation i have pushed him on the subject but he has failed to give me a clear answer to it
    • Very Important Poster

ohhh i see i was suprised that he got so defensive about it he has been BSing certain people about it thats
    i was so suprised about it and his reaction to me asking about it i dont want to push him as he is clearly ashamed about what happend but i dont see why he has to lie to us about it
    Maybe he feels you should mind your own business?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    but their would be no need to lie to me and others and to be so defensive and aggresive over it he should just tell us straight up to be honest

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    he should tell us if he felt that way
    • Very Important Poster

but their would be no need to lie to me and others and to be so defensive and aggresive over it he should just tell us straight up to be honest
    What bit of none of your business dont you understand? I can see very well why he wouldnt want to tell you. Why not respect his privacy?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.