Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Grad Scheme Application - cover letter necessary? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I'm in the process of completing an application for a grad scheme.

The application includes 4 job specific questions (300 words each) including:

Why do you want to work for us?
    What specifically attracts you to this role?

My question is - is it still necessary to write and attach a cover letter on the 'attachments' tab? or is your CV enough?

I guess what i've written for the above questions covers pretty much what I'd write in a cover letter?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thank you.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JME1993)
    Hi there,

I'm in the process of completing an application for a grad scheme.

The application includes 4 job specific questions (300 words each) including:

Why do you want to work for us?
    What specifically attracts you to this role?

My question is - is it still necessary to write and attach a cover letter on the 'attachments' tab? or is your CV enough?

I guess what i've written for the above questions covers pretty much what I'd write in a cover letter?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thank you.
    Your cover letter would contain things from those 2 questions anyway so I don't think it's needed since you'll just be repeating yourself. Unless it specifically asks for one, then I would send one. Most of the graduate applications I sent off did not require one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    Your cover letter would contain things from those 2 questions anyway so I don't think it's needed since you'll just be repeating yourself. Unless it specifically asks for one, then I would send one. Most of the graduate applications I sent off did not require one.
    Thank you. That's what I thought. Just wasn't sure whether a cover letter would be expected or not.

On the 'attachments' tab where it prompts you to attach any relevant documents, it says 'e.g. Resume, cover letter, transcripts, references'...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.