Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

GCSE maths entry requirements for Psychology degree- how strict? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    --
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by MortyC137)
    My predicted A level grades are A*AA/A*A*A (Psychology, Law, English Literature) and I want to study psychology at university. I have a C in GCSE maths (A*s in English lit/lang, ABB in sciences)
    I have work experience, wider reading and external activities (attending conferences etc) for my personal statement, should I still apply to universities that require a B in GCSE maths? Does anyone have any experience of this? (I will be applying to those who require a C but I'd like to see what I can do)
    Make an informal enquiry, but its at their discretion and you would avoid wasting one of your choices. My position would be to expect them to refuse unless you meet their stated offer.
    If you require a B then the common sense solution is to resit.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    My predicted A level grades are A*AA/A*A*A (Psychology, Law, English Literature) and I want to study psychology at university. I have a C in GCSE maths (A*s in English lit/lang, ABB in sciences)
    I have work experience, wider reading and external activities (attending conferences etc) for my personal statement, should I still apply to universities that require a B in GCSE maths? Does anyone have any experience of this? (I will be applying to those who require a C but I'd like to see what I can do)
    Psychology involves a substantial amount of statistical analysis - GCSE maths requirements are there to make sure you'll be able to cope with the course not to catch applicants out.

Ask the university directly (and ask about requirements for the new maths grades) and then resit if they require it (or apply to universities that don't have such a high miaths requirement - they'll usually include more maths support in the first few years to help you get up to speed)

ReputationRep:
    If I remember rightly Greenwich Uni wanted AAB, for theirs. I would try a resit, or a retake and see if you can get higher. As said above it is statistic based, but in my maths class I have a psychology masters student who hasn't got her GCSE yet, so it may well be if you show your keen to retake they will let you on the course. She said the stats are pretty much done on computers now, so not as bad as it used to be.

ReputationRep:
    If a requirement is a B in GCSE Maths, that's what you have to get. You could email the universities and explain all your pros, and would you be considered if you applied to them. Otherwise, don't just apply, you'll likely get a rejection.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.