Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Wearing suits and carrying a briefcase to university Watch

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone actually wear a suit everyday to university? And carry a briefcase alongside with it. Students I mean, not staff.

ReputationRep:
    I've never seen anyone do so

Ishygddt
      • Very Important Poster
      • PS Reviewer
      • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Drayagon)
      Does anyone actually wear a suit everyday to university? And carry a briefcase alongside with it. Students I mean, not staff.
      You wont even see that many staff - the only "students" I ever saw in suits were applicants attending interview (looking ridiculously uncomfortable and overdressed compared to the interviewers in jeans)

ReputationRep:
      You work it out !

There are over 7 billion people on this planet, how likely is it that at least 1 of these people wear a suit and carry a briefcase to Uni ?

Do the maths !

Boring thread is boring

I saw one guy do that. Looked like a bit of a nob tbh

ReputationRep:
        Yeah full three piece suit and bow tie

H8erz gona H8

Name:  JRM.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  71.4 KB

ReputationRep:
        There was a guy who wore a suit + top hat combo during my undergrad lol

Was known as "top hat man".

ReputationRep:
        If I saw someone doing that I would probably just assume they were on the autistic spectrum.

ReputationRep:
        A guy did this on the very first lecture of my masters. Full suit, tie, briefcase, etc. The next day he turned up wearing a hoody and the suit and briefcase were never seen again.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
        In my politics classes, no. In my economics lectures, YEAH. I hate wannabe bankers so much...

ReputationRep:
        No one at my uni wears one. My lecturers are in jeans and a t-shirt too. I've not actually seen many staff in "smart" office wear. Everyone pretty much wears jeans, sometimes people wear a smart shirt too.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Nebuchadnezzaṛ)
        Briefcase w*nker.

ReputationRep:
        When i studied in Germany, i saw quite a few turn up to class in smart suits. It was actually expected also if you had to give a presentation.

ReputationRep:
        Every day for undergraduate lectures it's very unlikely. For post-graduate post-experience courses it's common, especially in business-related studies.

It's common to wear a suit for societies, presentations, interviews and on-campus recruitment events.

ReputationRep:
        I always wear a suit and at Derby University, we have another person who very famously wears suits from the 1920s and sports a moustache so fine that clearly the angels in heaven provided him to come down and give hope to us that cannot grow such spectacular facial hair.

I just wear a suit because when a man looks this fine, he wants to stand out. You don't hide a candle under a bush, knaimean?

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Mathemagicien)
        I saw one guy do that. Looked like a bit of a nob tbh
        Which university?

(Original post by Drayagon)
          Which university?
          You won't have heard of it.

ReputationRep:
          A few times I’ve worn a suit, mainly because I’d come straight from an interview/work and hadn’t had time to get changed, or going straight to an event after.

I’ve also worn a suit for presentations/society promotions (business related!).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
        Useful resources
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.