This discussion is closed.
geoffwayne
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Good afternoon all,

I have been though an assesament regarding my dyslexia and one of the reccomedations is they provide a new laptop for me as mine is ddemed not serficcent as I need various software to help me along.

THe report state that the laptop will be WKH15 with the specs below?

Lenovo IdeaPad V110-15 Laptop
Core i5-6200U 2.3GHz
15.6inch Screen
4GB DDR4, 500GB HDD
1.9kg, Bluetooth
DVD-RW, WiFi
Intel HD Graphics
2xUSB, 1xHDMI
Windows 10 Home 64

but looking at
the specs I'm not sure if its the right way to go!

First thing that springs to mind is the weight! its about double the weight of my current laptop. I also dont need a DVD drive and really don't need a 15 inch screen! I'm also not sure on a HDD? would SSD not be a better option? And will 4gb of RAM be ok for the next 3 yers of using the laptop, or will it slowly grind to a halt?

As I will have to make a £200 contribution to the laptop I would like a little input as the the spec?

Anyone had any dealings with this laptop?

Geoff
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by geoffwayne)
but looking at the specs I'm not sure if its the right way to go!

First thing that springs to mind is the weight! its about double the weight of my current laptop.
Going by the fact that your current laptop is deemed insufficient and weighs under a kilo, I'm guessing it's a netbook of some description. This isn't really representative of the wider laptop market, a 15" machine weighing under 2kg is actually on the lighter side for a budget purchase.

I
also dont need a DVD drive and really don't need a 15 inch screen!
Small and light laptops are typically a more premium product category, you won't get something with a 13" screen and the same specs for the same price they're paying for a 15" model that doesn't need to cater to more restricted design constraints.

I'm also not sure on a HDD? would SSD not be a better option?
Yes, but again, it's more expensive. They're not here to provide you with a premium laptop experience, they're trying to find the cheapest machine that will meet the needs of students like you. You can throw in your own SSD if you want to.

And will 4gb of RAM be ok for the next 3 yers of using the laptop, or will it slowly grind to a halt?
It's on the lower end of acceptable, but still acceptable. Again, add more yourself at a later date if you want to.

As I will have to make a £200 contribution to the laptop I would like a little input as the the spec?

Anyone had any dealings with this laptop?

Geoff
For £200 it's about the best laptop you'll have available to you without buying used. You'd be looking at about double that price to get something with the same processor tier and improvements to the RAM/HDD, even more again to get that in a 13" form factor. Is it going to be the smoothest laptop on the planet? No, but you're paying peanuts for it, so you can't really expect that.
geoffwayne
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Thanks for the reply,

I just feel like I am being forced into this laptop without much option. I currently have a Microsoft surface 3 and don't feel it that it is past it.

Geoff
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by geoffwayne)
Thanks for the reply,

I just feel like I am being forced into this laptop without much option. I currently have a Microsoft surface 3 and don't feel it that it is past it.

Geoff
You're being offered a perfectly decent laptop for around half of its retail value, this program is not there to supply you with a range of premium features to suit your particular desires. Your Surface 3 has a less powerful Atom processor, which I'm assuming is what they think will be holding it back.

Personally, I would take this laptop then spend another £50 on a small SSD to replace the internal HDD with (then however much extra it costs for an hard drive caddy to turn the old drive into an external HDD). If you want something smaller or convertible, or just something that's more premium in general, take that £200 and get saving until you can afford something you do want.
Betty Adhokorie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I think I just got offered the same, and am not too sure about it either
tjto
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Same, but the person who I had a meeting with said that once the supplier gets in contact with me I’ll be able to upgrade to a Mac. Does anyone know how this works and ho much extra has to be paid towards It?
(Original post by Betty Adhokorie)
I think I just got offered the same, and am not too sure about it either
niteninja1
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Please dont bump year old threads
(Original post by tjto)
Same, but the person who I had a meeting with said that once the supplier gets in contact with me I’ll be able to upgrade to a Mac. Does anyone know how this works and ho much extra has to be paid towards It?
tjto
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Didn’t know where else to ask the question... anyway, why should it matter.
(Original post by niteninja1)
Please dont bump year old threads
niteninja1
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
AngryJellyfish could we get this locked please
AngryJellyfish
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by niteninja1)
AngryJellyfish could we get this locked please
RoyalSheepy 8472 or anyone else who actually has the ability, can we get this locked please?
niteninja1
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by AngryJellyfish)
RoyalSheepy 8472 or anyone else who actually has mod powers, can we get this locked please?
Apologies presumed you had locking powers
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (258)
33.81%
No (505)
66.19%

Watched Threads