Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

DSA/SFE WKH15 laptop Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Good afternoon all,

I have been though an assesament regarding my dyslexia and one of the reccomedations is they provide a new laptop for me as mine is ddemed not serficcent as I need various software to help me along.

THe report state that the laptop will be WKH15 with the specs below?

Lenovo IdeaPad V110-15 Laptop
    Core i5-6200U 2.3GHz
    15.6inch Screen
    4GB DDR4, 500GB HDD
    1.9kg, Bluetooth
    DVD-RW, WiFi
    Intel HD Graphics
    2xUSB, 1xHDMI
    Windows 10 Home 64

but looking at
    the specs I'm not sure if its the right way to go!

First thing that springs to mind is the weight! its about double the weight of my current laptop. I also dont need a DVD drive and really don't need a 15 inch screen! I'm also not sure on a HDD? would SSD not be a better option? And will 4gb of RAM be ok for the next 3 yers of using the laptop, or will it slowly grind to a halt?

As I will have to make a £200 contribution to the laptop I would like a little input as the the spec?

Anyone had any dealings with this laptop?

Geoff
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geoffwayne)
    but looking at the specs I'm not sure if its the right way to go!

First thing that springs to mind is the weight! its about double the weight of my current laptop.
    Going by the fact that your current laptop is deemed insufficient and weighs under a kilo, I'm guessing it's a netbook of some description. This isn't really representative of the wider laptop market, a 15" machine weighing under 2kg is actually on the lighter side for a budget purchase.

I
    also dont need a DVD drive and really don't need a 15 inch screen!
    Small and light laptops are typically a more premium product category, you won't get something with a 13" screen and the same specs for the same price they're paying for a 15" model that doesn't need to cater to more restricted design constraints.

I'm also not sure on a HDD? would SSD not be a better option?
    Yes, but again, it's more expensive. They're not here to provide you with a premium laptop experience, they're trying to find the cheapest machine that will meet the needs of students like you. You can throw in your own SSD if you want to.

And will 4gb of RAM be ok for the next 3 yers of using the laptop, or will it slowly grind to a halt?
    It's on the lower end of acceptable, but still acceptable. Again, add more yourself at a later date if you want to.

As I will have to make a £200 contribution to the laptop I would like a little input as the the spec?

Anyone had any dealings with this laptop?

Geoff
    For £200 it's about the best laptop you'll have available to you without buying used. You'd be looking at about double that price to get something with the same processor tier and improvements to the RAM/HDD, even more again to get that in a 13" form factor. Is it going to be the smoothest laptop on the planet? No, but you're paying peanuts for it, so you can't really expect that.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply,

I just feel like I am being forced into this laptop without much option. I currently have a Microsoft surface 3 and don't feel it that it is past it.

Geoff
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geoffwayne)
    Thanks for the reply,

I just feel like I am being forced into this laptop without much option. I currently have a Microsoft surface 3 and don't feel it that it is past it.

Geoff
    You're being offered a perfectly decent laptop for around half of its retail value, this program is not there to supply you with a range of premium features to suit your particular desires. Your Surface 3 has a less powerful Atom processor, which I'm assuming is what they think will be holding it back.

Personally, I would take this laptop then spend another £50 on a small SSD to replace the internal HDD with (then however much extra it costs for an hard drive caddy to turn the old drive into an external HDD). If you want something smaller or convertible, or just something that's more premium in general, take that £200 and get saving until you can afford something you do want.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 11, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.