Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

UK seems to be doing well after brexit Watch

ReputationRep:
    UK non - EU exports for july 2017 went up 21% (2.9bn) since the month before, and went up a whopping 39%(4.7bn) since July 2016.

Meanwhile exports to the EU countries only reduce by 8% on July 2017 from June 2017 and only down 12 % since July 2016.

Our gain from non EU exports will cover our lost of trade from EU 27. The stats seems to say we will be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Well we ain't left yet, however I am very much looking forward to enjoying NZ lamb again and our fishing industry being free of the devastating Common Fishery Policy.

ReputationRep:
    1) Brexit has not yet happened.
    2) You use 1 set of stats to make the case that the entirety of Brexit seems to be going well.
    3) Your stats for EU exports don't contain the absolute value thereof, so we don't know if the rise in trade with other countries matches the fall in trade with the EU countries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tian1Sky)
    1) Brexit has not yet happened.
    2) You use 1 set of stats to make the case that the entirety of Brexit seems to be going well.
    3) Your stats for EU exports don't contain the absolute value thereof, so we don't know if the rise in trade with other countries matches the fall in trade with the EU countries.
    1) business are adjusting to brexit. So what we are looking at now is what brexit would look like because brexit is expected to happen and the businesses make adjustment to prepare for it

2) how many stats do you want me to use? the whole grand argument about brexit is who are we gonna export to if we leave the EU? so u got ur answer there, to non EU countries. and non EU export is flourishing.

3) I 'll look into that later. busy now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HucktheForde)
    1) business are adjusting to brexit. So what we are looking at now is what brexit would look like because brexit is expected to happen and the businesses make adjustment to prepare for it

2) how many stats do you want me to use? the whole grand argument about brexit is who are we gonna export to if we leave the EU? so u got ur answer there, to non EU countries. and non EU export is flourishing.

3) I 'll look into that later. busy now
    EU trade tariffs and regulations are still in effect, so to take these trade statistics as representative of trade after Brexit is unfounded.

There were multiple arguments for Brexit, increased trade with non-EU countries was only one of them. Maybe it was the most important one to you, but I don't believe that it was the "grand argument" overall.

You should have included that statistic in the original post, because with out it we can't conclude whether overall trade has decreased or not.

ReputationRep:
    Can't wait for a self determined country that acts in the interest of all its people, not just the world's 11 million millionaires.

ReputationRep:
    The economy is doing fantastic.

GDP growth sluggish, falling productivity, record trade deficit, falling real wages.

ReputationRep:
    And stop banging on about growth. It can't grow forever.
    Imo if the Green Party innovated their zero growth policies that would at least make some sense among the less well off rather than being all Lib Dem-lite, they could surely get somewhere

ReputationRep:
    I voted leave and still think I made the right choice but it's too early to say that we're doing well. But I can see this happening:
    - *Britain properly leaves the EU
    - *Slight dip in UK trade revenue (Might just be an anomaly?)
    - "OMFG, WE TOLD YOU SO!!!!!!! WE TOLD YOU BRITAIN WILL BE WORSE OFF OUT OF THE EU!!!! YOU F*CKING IDIOTS HAVE RUINED THIS COUNTRY, GO TO HELL!!! WE'RE SO INTELLECTUALLY SUPERIOR"

But the thing is, we'll never know what effect remaining in the EU would have had; we may actually end up being better off out of the EU come 2020, or come 2030, than we would have been if we remained in the EU come 2020 or 2030. Any fluctuations happening right now are being caused by uncertainty but they'll stabilise in time. The best thing to do is to accept what's happened and support the country because creating more division between the populace will only negatively impact the economy.

ReputationRep:
    UK non - EU exports for july 2017 went up 21% (2.9bn) since the month before, and went up a whopping 39%(4.7bn) since July 2016.

Meanwhile exports to the EU countries only reduce by 8% on July 2017 from June 2017 and only down 12 % since July 2016.

Our gain from non EU exports will cover our lost of trade from EU 27. The stats seems to say we will be fine.
    Quite apart from Brexit not having happened, have you looked at exchange rates?

ReputationRep:

https://www.uktradeinfo.com/Statisti...Pages/OTS.aspx

Your stats are rubbish

ReputationRep:
    We haven't left yet.

ReputationRep:
    We haven't brexititted yet. People are probably getting all their trading in before we leave.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Not really, EU funding for unis, local governments, social housing developments, infrastructure projects has already been cut. I can see the tuition costs and council tax both sky-rocketing in the near future to compensate for the reduced funding. Also European Court will still be a part of the British Judicial system, therefore making Brexit pointless as that was one of the main reasons people voted to leave. Yup, going brilliantly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RogerOxon)
    Quite apart from Brexit not having happened, have you looked at exchange rates?
    Yes, they're great for us. The pound is 0.07USD less than it was in February 2016, not a crash as has been portrayed but a slow down of its decline since 2014.
    A more accurate valuation will ofset any potential tariffs for exporters to the EU, while opening up new opportunities around the world. Also because we can remove the EU's protectionist tarriffs like on agricultural produce from Africa and bills will go down even with a lower pound.

ReputationRep:
    Economically, I don't think we're doing all that badly at the moment - but the killer point in this is that it hasn't happened yet. Neither too, of course, have any independent trade deals. We're ultimately flying a bit in the dark on this.

There is certainly scope for increasing non-EU trade - and I do hope the DIT are serious about expanding into new markets. My concern is that this will need initial investment to facilitate - and of course the point that the EU are our nearest neighbours and we would be expected to want to trade most closely with it.

ReputationRep:
    We haven't quite hit the ice-berg yet.

ReputationRep:

https://www.uktradeinfo.com/Statisti...ase_072017.pdf

i was using stats from July 2017. the one you posted is an update for Aug 2017

ReputationRep:
    https://www.uktradeinfo.com/Statisti...ase_072017.pdf

i was using stats from July 2017. the one you posted is an update for Aug 2017
    Why didn't you more up to date data unless they are not as good, lies, damn lies and statistics.

ReputationRep:

Brexit hasn’t happened yet you idiot
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.