Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all

I'm helping my boyfriend write a CV so he can get a part-time job and (maybe) do an apprenticeship instead of the current college course he's doing.

However I'm finding it difficult to help him write stuff down because he dropped out of secondary school so did no exams, and he enrolled last year in a college course alongside Functional Skills but for personal reasons he's either looking to join another course or look for an apprenticeship. He also hasn't had any work experience alongside this, but I just really want him to do well.

What do you suggest?? Other than "letb him do it" and "it's his future". I don't need those sort of comments, just some advice. Thanks everyone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tingeofginge)
    Hi all

I'm helping my boyfriend write a CV so he can get a part-time job and (maybe) do an apprenticeship instead of the current college course he's doing.

However I'm finding it difficult to help him write stuff down because he dropped out of secondary school so did no exams, and he enrolled last year in a college course alongside Functional Skills but for personal reasons he's either looking to join another course or look for an apprenticeship. He also hasn't had any work experience alongside this, but I just really want him to do well.

What do you suggest?? Other than "letb him do it" and "it's his future". I don't need those sort of comments, just some advice. Thanks everyone
    It’s going to be harder without qualifications or experience so he needs to be prepared to take the cv to lots of companies without a response and to take it to shops which aren’t even advertising. Just goo and ask if there is someone you can hand a cv and covering letter to.

In terms of filling the cv out as well has he been part of any clubs at all, cadets, scouts etc. Through which he has gained or demonstrated skills, has he volunteered anywhere, did he have any roles of responsibility in anything. These sorts of things can show skills which don’t rely on qualifications but can be very useful to companies.

If he is finding hard to add anything and earning money is a massive issue at the moment then maybe getting some experience volunteering for a charity. This would give him skills and an additional reference even a charity shop once a week shows commitment that you are responsible can be trusted with money etc.

All the best

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 10, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.