Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So if I have a full time job during my gap year but I know I will only be working 6 months, I calculated I will earn £7000 in the 6 months, but if that were a year I would be earning £14,000 and that exceeds the personal allowance, so do they calculate it as if you were working a whole year? Do they wait till the month you reach £11500 before taking tax and personal insurance from you? So in other words will I not be taxed at all for the 6 months.

And say a new year from January to December I earned £12000, but it was two different jobs and not full time, do I still pay tax?

Lastly say my parents were helping me out with uni and transferred me £5000 per year straight from their earnings from the property they let out (so literally the guy who lives in the property transfers it straight to my account) and then I earn £12000 a year, will I have to pay tax on £17000 or £12000 ?

Please help!! It is very frustrating. Now I understand what people mean when they say they were taught about photosynthesis and World War One but not how tax works or actually important life skills you need

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.