Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    In third year of Psychology with Counselling BPS Accredited Undergrad degree... have seen Psychiatry PhD at Edinburgh which I REALLY, REALLY want to do next... they only require '2:1' they don't say what in??? It's a three year full time course.

Is this a path I can take to Psychiatry? I thought I needed three hundred years of med school, the blood of a virgin, symbols, hieroglyphs... the last few may be for passwords but...

IS THIS DOABLE?! If it isn't, I won't up sticks and move to do it, but if it is... I am OFF in 2018! (Assuming they accept my application!)

Any advice and sacrificial virgins you have... I'd be so grateful.

(P.s. I intend to be the psychiatrist, I don't need one!) :P

ReputationRep:
    Just copying my reply from previous thread:

To become a psychiatrist, you must get a medical degree first, then specialize in psychiatry during your career.

You can do a psychology degree and then a PhD in psychiatry, but that won't make you a psychiatrist. You won't be treating patients.

Blood of virgins optional.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TriesTooHard)
    In third year of Psychology with Counselling BPS Accredited Undergrad degree... have seen Psychiatry PhD at Edinburgh which I REALLY, REALLY want to do next... they only require '2:1' they don't say what in??? It's a three year full time course.

Is this a path I can take to Psychiatry? I thought I needed three hundred years of med school, the blood of a virgin, symbols, hieroglyphs... the last few may be for passwords but...

IS THIS DOABLE?! If it isn't, I won't up sticks and move to do it, but if it is... I am OFF in 2018! (Assuming they accept my application!)

Any advice and sacrificial virgins you have... I'd be so grateful.

(P.s. I intend to be the psychiatrist, I don't need one!) :P
    Psychiatrists are medically trained doctors, you can't become a psychiatrist with a PhD in psychiatry. You'd learn about the history of psychiatry and what the current issues are within the field but in no way would it make you a qualified psychiatrist, it's a research degree. You'd technically be able to use the title 'Dr' in your personal life but you'd be a doctor of academia (everyone gets this no matter what PhD they do), rather than a medically qualified doctor. You can be a doctor of history for example if you do a PhD in history.

Your only option is to do graduate entry medicine which is a four year degree, then you're a doctor. Then you do 2 years of foundation training as a qualified doctor and you can choose to start training in psychiatry after that.

ReputationRep:
    Is it the 'PhD Psychiatry' listed on Edinburgh's website? If so, it looks like a PhD involving research into a subject in the field of psych (e.g. genetics, pharmacokinetics).

Psychiatry is a medical specialty. There is no way to become a psychiatrist other than going down the medical degree route.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick links:

Unanswered Health and Emergency services Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.