Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hundreds of maths GCSE students 'double entered' in 2017 Watch

• TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    https://www.tes.com/news/school-news...ummer-2017?amp

Hundreds of students this year were entered by their schools for two sets of maths exams. This was either foundation and higher exams or exams across two exam boards. Here are the numbers that were entered for more than set of maths exams:

While the practice isn't banned, it is malpractice to change the exam timetable to accommodate double entry. The maths GCSEs were all on the same day this year so all double entries would have been against the rules.

Were you a GCSE student in 2017 who feels like these students received an unfair advantage? Is it fair on the student to force them to do 9 hours of maths exams? Should the practice be banned completely and prevented before exams are sat? I'm sure it would be possible to do this and I'm surprised why it isn't already.

ReputationRep:
    I too am surprised that this is allowed, you should really only be able to sit a GCSE in a subject once per exam season. (I'm not even sure why that needs to be said)

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, I wouldn't care if they did this to me too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notnek)
    While the practice isn't banned,
    Yes it is.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Compost)
    Yes it is.
    Quote from the article:

"While double entry in itself is not malpractice, schools may not alter the GCSE timetable to enable students to be entered for more than one exam in the same subject. As the GCSE maths exams are timetabled to take place at the same time, double entry is, in effect, malpractice."

This is what I meant when I said it is not directly banned.

ReputationRep:
    The exam board entry rules say you're not allowed to do it. (Plus, as you've said, moving either of the exams from the standard start time is malpractice.)
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Compost)
    The exam board entry rules say you're not allowed to do it. (Plus, as you've said, moving either of the exams from the standard start time is malpractice.)
    Is there no way to stop multiple entry before exams are sat? It seems like this would be possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notnek)
    Is there no way to stop multiple entry before exams are sat? It seems like this would be possible.
    The exam boards can't see what you have entered with other exam boards so it is down to the honesty of centres to stick to the rules.

It's always been again the rules to double enter but there were ways of getting round it semi-legitimately - GCSE and IGCSE for instance. They've tried to deter centres over the past few years by making sure that exams are timetabled at the same time so double entering leads inevitably to malpractice but when teachers' and headteachers' jobs are on the line then some of them will break the rules if they think it might improve their results.

ReputationRep:
    What's entering a student twice even supposed to accomplish?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retired_Messiah)
    What's entering a student twice even supposed to accomplish?
    In theory it givers them 2 chances at nailing a decent grade. Often I think it just confuses them as a slightly different approach is needed to answering questions with different exam boards.

ReputationRep:
    Surely when they apply to sixth form and uni both grades will be there? So whilst it can help them meet the entry requirements, wherever they apply will instantly know they had an unfair advantage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zeldor711)
    Surely when they apply to sixth form and uni both grades will be there? So whilst it can help them meet the entry requirements, wherever they apply will instantly know they had an unfair advantage.
    In the past, before the DFE introduced the first entry in a subject being the one that counts for the school's results, I've seen students arrive at our 6th form having taken GCSE Maths 4 times (modular and linear in 2 different exam seasons) and achieved the same grade every time. Schools do what they can to achieve the best results they can - it's what the system incentivises although the current rules and Ofsted focus have (quite rightly) closed down nearly all the legitimate loopholes - hence schools are illegally double entering students..

ReputationRep:
    I've heard of "clash candidates" before, but this is just pushing the boundaries...

ReputationRep:
    This goes back to the dawn of time.

In O level/CSE days, many CSEs were all or virtually all coursework. A school, playing the system, would teach its top sets the O level syllabus but set the assessments on that syllabus to push the buttons for the CSE coursework requirements. The CSE portfolio would guarantee a Grade 1 (equivalent to an O level pass grade) before the candidate walked into the exam hall to sit his (eminently failable) O levels.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.