Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What is the best way to approach a law firm for experience and information? Watch

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnEvolvedApe)
    I wasn't aware of the loans for the GDL? Are they offered by student finance? I have researched PG loans but have not came across loans for the GDL.
    It has to be a Masters course. BPP and UoL have set up courses titled MAs Purely for the purpose of PG funding: http://www.law.ac.uk/postgraduate/funding-options/
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    It has to be a Masters course. BPP and UoL have set up courses titled MAs Purely for the purpose of PG funding: http://www.law.ac.uk/postgraduate/funding-options/
    May I also inquire about UCAS point requirements and if I'd be eligible to apply to training contracts early?

I assume I have a total of around 420 UCAS points (pre-2017 tariff) totalling all of my Level 3 qualifications and I have read that many training contracts require around 280-380 UCAS points. Would it be far-fetched to apply to them without such experience?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    May I also inquire about UCAS point requirements and if I'd be eligible to apply to training contracts early?

I assume I have a total of around 420 UCAS points (pre-2017 tariff) totalling all of my Level 3 qualifications and I have read that many training contracts require around 280-380 UCAS points. Would it be far-fetched to apply to them without such experience?
    You cant apply for training contracts “early” you just apply from anytime when you would be eligible to start.

But yes, if you have the equivalent UCAS points that means you meet basic eligibility criteria, there is nothing stopping you applying as long as you will complete the GDL and LPC by the time the training contract is due to start.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Very Important Poster

Lots of information is available through some basic research. Do not approach them if that information is readily available as you will end up looking poor.

Use some common sense as to what you ask and contact the appropriate person. It doesnt sound like you have done much research.

Notwithstanding all the inf jsp provided you with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Lots of information is available through some basic research. Do not approach them if that information is readily available as you will end up looking poor.

Use some common sense as to what you ask and contact the appropriate person. It doesnt sound like you have done much research.

Notwithstanding all the inf jsp provided you with.
    Nope. I have done quite a bit of research, daily. But I like to hear from personal experience and other people's opinions also and to confirm what I have read is not a fad.

ReputationRep:
    Nope. I have done quite a bit of research, daily. But I like to hear from personal experience and other people's opinions also and to confirm what I have read is not a fad.
    What have you read that you are concerned is a "fad"? Law is not a career known for being susceptible to fads.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmSmQs)
    What have you read that you are concerned is a "fad"? Law is not a career known for being susceptible to fads.
    Just a loose term I thought I'd use as I didn't have much time to think of a synonym at the time of posting that remark.

ReputationRep:
    Just a loose term I thought I'd use as I didn't have much time to think of a synonym at the time of posting that remark.
    Synonym for what? I'm not sure what point you're trying to make - just that you'd like to hear about lawyers' experiences in various areas of practice?

I think there's two points here: 1) there is information about how to train as a lawyer/fund that training, a lot of which is easily discovered through some online research and which lawyers probably won't appreciate being asked about as it suggests a lack of research and 2) asking specific questions about the reality of practising in specific areas of law, which are sensible to ask.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmSmQs)
    asking specific questions about the reality of practising in specific areas of law, which are sensible to ask.
    Asking and talking in this forum with J-SP regarding how to approach law firms has helped me learn the point quoted above. So, I am glad I posted this thread because I learned a few things that I didn't consider when researching. That was the whole point in this thread. So now I know what I am to do... which is to do more specific research and comparisons into areas of law rather than just inquiring about law in general to law firms.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.