Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi Stuart and co,

I wrote on here a few weeks ago that I am on post grad loan since 2016 0ctober. I have already received my payment for last year. I am meant to be progressing to my second year but I failed a module which means I will resit this December. I have contacted the uni asking them why they haven't confirmed with SFE, only to discover that they have put me as an external student pending resubmission and will only confirm my registration once I pass my course, which is next January. So they claim that my status as a student now does not attract fees costs. Is this legal? How about my living cost? Do you cease to pay them because l have a referral? Please advise.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davaldo)
    Hi Stuart and co,

I wrote on here a few weeks ago that I am on post grad loan since 2016 0ctober. I have already received my payment for last year. I am meant to be progressing to my second year but I failed a module which means I will resit this December. I have contacted the uni asking them why they haven't confirmed with SFE, only to discover that they have put me as an external student pending resubmission and will only confirm my registration once I pass my course, which is next January. So they claim that my status as a student now does not attract fees costs. Is this legal? How about my living cost? Do you cease to pay them because l have a referral? Please advise.
    Hi Davaldo,

The Postgraduate Loan (PGL) isn't specifically a fee loan. It's a contribution towards your total costs and as such is paid directly to you.

That said, we can only release the payments to you if the university send confirmation of registration at the start of the year. If they've classed you as an external student or you are repeating the year they will not do this.

You may be eligible to receive repeat funding for a course if you were unable to complete it due to compelling personal reasons (CPR).

You must provide evidence to support that you withdrew/suspended from your studies due to CPR or that you need to repeat a year due to CPR.

If your CPR evidence is accepted and you are awarded funding for CPR you will receive another PGL for your new course or for repeating your previous course.

Regards,

Stuart

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply Stuart. Well which means that my payments will resume once I pass my referral. I applied for this course with the aim of doing a PhD. However, I have secured an unconditional PhD without the consideration of the current masters. They considered my undergrad and my experience in the research field. So my current Masters is of no use to me now. If I exit after a succesful resubmission in January, I will obtain a Post grad certificate. I have already received 5000 of my approved 10000 loan. I want to apply for a PhD loan next year, since this Masters will now drag to 2019 and my PhD Starts in Sept 2018 I am planning to exit this Masters in January. Will I be eligible to apply for PhD loan if I did not finish my master's? Please advise.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davaldo)
    Hi Stuart and co,

Hi Davaldo,

If you fail to pass a year of study and then return to resit exams only in the following year, you will be classed as an external/not in attendance student. If you are not registered as being in attendance at your University/College, you will not entitled to support for the academic year.

Thanks Rona

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.