Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do the low grade offers go to the high achievers or low achievers? Watch

ReputationRep:
    It's a bit of a random question but I was wondering when on a uni's website it will say the typical offer is, let's say, A*AA - AAB, would the lower offer go to a higher achiever (someone with amazing predicted grades and PS etc etc) because they really want them to choose their university, or would it go to a lower achiever because they think it will be more attainable to get? Or would it go to someone who has a poor contextual background?

If someone is a higher achiever, does that mean they're more likely to get the higher offers because the uni thinks they will attain them? Or the lower ones because they want them more?

I presume it's not the same for all applications, but generally what's the idea on this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lowza)
    It's a bit of a random question but I was wondering when on a uni's website it will say the typical offer is, let's say, A*AA - AAB, would the lower offer go to a higher achiever (someone with amazing predicted grades and PS etc etc) because they really want them to choose their university, or would it go to a lower achiever because they think it will be more attainable to get? Or would it go to someone who has a poor contextual background?

If someone is a higher achiever, does that mean they're more likely to get the higher offers because the uni thinks they will attain them? Or the lower ones because they want them more?

I presume it's not the same for all applications, but generally what's the idea on this?
    The lower offers generally go to those with contextual factors.

EDIT: Some unis also offer reduced requirements to students who have particularly relevant A-levels.

ReputationRep:
    In my experience, the universities I have applied for (All top 10) have used it as a method of making themselves attractive to high-achievers. Lancaster, for example, offered me a spot on the basis of achieving ABB, whilst the website says offers range from AAA-AAB. They did this, quite clearly, in an effort to get me to choose them, given that I had at the time predictions of, and have since gotten, A*A*A.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    it's for people who qualify for contextual offers

ReputationRep:
    If the Uni doesnt make it clear on the website, then email/phone the Uni and ask them what the criteria is for the lower offer.

Never ever just assume that you will get the lower offer!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.