The Student Room Group

BAE Systems to cut almost 2,000 jobs

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41566841

BAE Systems is planning to cut almost 2,000 jobs in military, maritime and intelligence services, the firm says. A total of 750 posts will go at the Warton and Samlesbury plants in Lancashire where parts for the Eurofighter Typhoon are manufactured.

BAE is facing an order gap for the Typhoon so wants to slow production before an expected order from Qatar. In all, a total of 1,400 roles will go across England in the firm's air and information business, Outside Lancashire, 400 posts will close in Brough, East Yorkshire, 230 will go at RAF Marham and 15 are being lost at RAF Leeming.

Meanwhile 340 maritime jobs will be lost in Portsmouth and Solent region and a further 180 posts will go in London, Guildford and other locations.
I don't see it as a problem. Sports Direct are hiring for warehouse roles, they won't be unemployed for long.
Original post by Quantex
I don't see it as a problem. Sports Direct are hiring for warehouse roles, they won't be unemployed for long.

They'll love the much lower pay and zero hours contracts which means they'll never get a mortgage and probably spend their days at the food bank.
Never mind only a matter of time before May is sacked and we get another general election then it's the end of 7 miserable years of tories, austerity, cuts and misery.

Viva Corbyn!!
Original post by Quantex

Your consistent sarcasm is killing me lol.
Original post by Ninja Squirrel
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41566841

BAE Systems is planning to cut almost 2,000 jobs in military, maritime and intelligence services, the firm says. A total of 750 posts will go at the Warton and Samlesbury plants in Lancashire where parts for the Eurofighter Typhoon are manufactured.

BAE is facing an order gap for the Typhoon so wants to slow production before an expected order from Qatar. In all, a total of 1,400 roles will go across England in the firm's air and information business, Outside Lancashire, 400 posts will close in Brough, East Yorkshire, 230 will go at RAF Marham and 15 are being lost at RAF Leeming.

Meanwhile 340 maritime jobs will be lost in Portsmouth and Solent region and a further 180 posts will go in London, Guildford and other locations.

It's not really realistic that Great Britain can continue to build a pan European Euro Fighter. When we are fully out of Europe I can't see how we can build them military aircraft and they can trust Britain with EU military secrets. We won't be on the same side anymore. Our own aircraft we'll have to develop totally ourselves or buy from the US or Russia.
Same with the Airbus passenger aircraft, we should not buy airliners built in the EU and I doubt the EU will want us building their aircraft parts in Great Britain, what sabotage and conspiracy stories could emerge from that!

It's a bit like the US building fighter aircraft for Iran lol, or vice versa or buying airliners built in North Korea lol.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Mathemagicien
We were never on the EU's side in the first place. We were a half-hearted member at best, who could be trusted to work towards US interests, not EU interests. We were already sabotaging the EU project from within, whenever it suited the US, or the UK government smelt the whiff of foreign investment in exchange.

Given the anglosphere's rather ironic dominance in intelligence, EU military secrets are already in British/American hands, whether they like it or not.

I think UK airlines should stop buying Airbus aircraft, I mean as you said can we trust flying in airliners built by an enemy? Like would Britain have bought Soviet built airliners in the Cold War era?

At the very least is it right that UK airlines should be buying aircraft off the EU?
Original post by Mathemagicien
Mate you're not even trying. It wouldn't be a hard Brexit without nuking Paris and Rome (no point wasting a nuke on Berlin).

I don't see any military aggression between Great Britain and the EU post Brexit. It's highly unlikely, but there could be a Cold War of sorts.
Conflicts with intelligence and espionage between GB and EU. Possible trade blockades and a light cultural revolution with removal of institutions associated with the EU, flags culture etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending