Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am on the 4th week of university and I am still feeling homesick. I understand that it is somewhat normal to feel homesick but at this point it feels like it is never going to end and I just wish that I enjoyed university more so that I could ignore the homesickness.

It doesn't help that I am quite introverted and I don't enjoy drinking / partying at night. It feels like student life is all about this and if I don't enjoy it then I'm not having a proper university life. I've also not really found anybody that I properly click with yet and now that it's the fourth week it feels like the opportunity to find people has ended.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thrwwy48)
    I am on the 4th week of university and I am still feeling homesick. I understand that it is somewhat normal to feel homesick but at this point it feels like it is never going to end and I just wish that I enjoyed university more so that I could ignore the homesickness.

It doesn't help that I am quite introverted and I don't enjoy drinking / partying at night. It feels like student life is all about this and if I don't enjoy it then I'm not having a proper university life. I've also not really found anybody that I properly click with yet and now that it's the fourth week it feels like the opportunity to find people has ended.
    Hello,

I am sorry to hear that you are feeling like this, but it is very normal.
    I felt exactly the same, my family was (and still is!) 2000km away and I missed them very much. I think that the only way is to throw yourself into activities. I made friends joining societies and sports. I am not a drinker or a party person, and I still managed to have a great time!
    So, why don't you look at the Students' Union website of your university and find one activity or sport that you like?

Let me know if you want to have a chat, I am happy to help!
    Ludovica

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Middlesex University)
    Hello,

I am sorry to hear that you are feeling like this, but it is very normal.
    I felt exactly the same, my family was (and still is!) 2000km away and I missed them very much. I think that the only way is to throw yourself into activities. I made friends joining societies and sports. I am not a drinker or a party person, and I still managed to have a great time!
    So, why don't you look at the Students' Union website of your university and find one activity or sport that you like?

Let me know if you want to have a chat, I am happy to help!
    Ludovica
    Thanks a lot for your reply. I've joined some societies and looked into volunteering so hopefully that will help. The past few days haven't been too bad and I've had some good evenings in with flatmates which is good. I think it's just the fear that the homesickness will never end that gets me down.

Thanks again for your reassurance :P

ReputationRep:
    Try cognitive reframing. 'Home' is now uni, your parents home is not. You can't be homesick if you're at 'home!' Buy some nice things, cushions etc to make your pad feel more homely.

Not everyone wants to get paralytic every night and stumble in at 3am. Youll find plenty of people that don't!
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thrwwy48)
    Thanks a lot for your reply. I've joined some societies and looked into volunteering so hopefully that will help. The past few days haven't been too bad and I've had some good evenings in with flatmates which is good. I think it's just the fear that the homesickness will never end that gets me down.

Thanks again for your reassurance :P

Morning!
    So happy to hear that it is getting better I am sure you have amazing flatmates!
    Keep going and you will love being at uni!

Have a great week
    Ludovica

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.