Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I would like to do a degree in mathematics, but I wouldn't like to get into a career in business or anything like that as I would like to do something that helps people, not make more millions for the boss of a company.

I have considered research with being a professor at a uni however, I am scared of the thought of spending months to years on a single problem. I do STEP now and sometimes it could take me 1-2 days to solve a problem and that's fine. I do get frustrated though when I am doing a problem on a maths forum or one I just conjured up and it takes weeks or months.

I was just wondering are their any other careers I could get into?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnonymousIBDA1)
    I would like to do a degree in mathematics, but I wouldn't like to get into a career in business or anything like that as I would like to do something that helps people, not make more millions for the boss of a company.

I have considered research with being a professor at a uni however, I am scared of the thought of spending months to years on a single problem. I do STEP now and sometimes it could take me 1-2 days to solve a problem and that's fine. I do get frustrated though when I am doing a problem on a maths forum or one I just conjured up and it takes weeks or months.

I was just wondering are their any other careers I could get into?
    This is one of the most asked questions here. In short, you can pretty much go into anything as many jobs DO NOT require a degree in a specific subject (e.g. Accounting, Risk Analyst). There are so many out there, no-one here will be bothered to list out 1000s of jobs for you. You'll just have to research on possible job that interests you, and note down the ones that interest you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.