Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm gonna be turning 16 at the start of November so I'm planning my birthday party. I was planning on going out for a meal with 9 of my friends but I figured this would be quite expensive as my grandparents have offered to pay but as well as my friends, 10 of my family members will be coming along. The other option was to stay at home and just have a party there with like buffet food, but I feel this would be boring as a lot of people my age drink and would want to but my parents are very strict so this obviously wouldn't be allowed. Also people can't just eat for 2+ hours but I can't think of anything we could do without it seeming childish (like typical party games).
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to sound like a ****, but maybe do something a bit more extravagant like a house party or something? You only get one 16th.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheBigCorbyn)
    I don't want to sound like a ****, but maybe do something a bit more extravagant like a house party or something? You only get one 16th.
    If I could have one I would but like I said my parents are strict with alcohol especially since I'm the oldest out of my group of friends so everyone else will be 14/15 :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SomeWelshGuy123)
    Buy everyone fake IDs and go out? I know quite a few people that did that for their 16th.
    Anything to do with alcohol would be off limits because like I said I have strict parents
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucyisawstr)
    Anything to do with alcohol would be off limits because like I said I have strict parents
    You seem to be missing the point, they don't need to know. Just say you're having a meal or going to the cinema or something, then say you're staying at one of their houses. How have you gone sixteen years without lying to your parents?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SomeWelshGuy123)
    You seem to be missing the point, they don't need to know. Just say you're having a meal or going to the cinema or something, then say you're staying at one of their houses. How have you gone sixteen years without lying to your parents?
    I understood your point and I've lied/hid stuff from my parents plenty of times but not only are fake ids exspensive (when there's 10 people), I think I'd prefer a more a laid back party, thanks for the suggestion anyways.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Boring party idea: invite a bunch of straight stupid teenagers around and watch them awkwardly act like they're cool and know everything.

Seriously turning 16 is meaningless, the only reason it has such weight attached to it in the US is because you can drive at 16 so often it goes hand in hand with getting a car and corresponding concepts of greater individual freedom - which doesn't translate to either British society or geography (not to mention law).

Just spend time with the people you actually enjoy hanging out with, doing what you like doing with them.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 11, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.