Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Apparently they are disgusting and make you vomit. How did you overcome it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure but a lot of orthodontists don't do that anymore they scan your teeth digitally
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    it only lasts a few minutes idk... it's not that bad

ReputationRep:
    Mine used it. Deep breathes and try not to move about too much.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't do anything to overcome it. It didn't make me vomit.

You'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samira631)
    Apparently they are disgusting and make you vomit. How did you overcome it.
    They don't trust me. I had mine done a few months back. I head it would be bad but honestly its fine. I didn't gag or anything, it's just a little uncomfortable. It only lasts a min or so

ReputationRep:
    my orthodontist found a pressure point on the bit between the bones in my thumb and first finger on my left hand to stop me from gagging, other than that just breathe through ur nose and think about something else

ReputationRep:
    It's not that bad. Try to relax and think about something else then it will all be over.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys coulld you tell your experience of braces like a step by step of what happened and what it felt like. And do they HURT sooo much when u first get them on

ReputationRep:
    They hurt quite a lot at the start, but you can get brace wax to help with that and the pain dies down pretty quick after you get them on, especially overnight

ReputationRep:
    It just takes a bit of time to get used to having them. I ended up eating really slowly at first, but you soon learn how to get bits out of them with your tongue...

Definitely use the wax if they're rubbing your gums though - it really helps. Mine usually just were uncomfortable for the first day or so after they were tightened.

ReputationRep:
    How do you brush behind the braces so i am just soo curious and excited.

ReputationRep:
    You can use an orthodontic toothbrush, it's just a normal toothbrush with a smaller head on the end, to get between the bar and mouthwash definitely helps too. My orthodontist actually recommended a dental water jet but that's pretty expensive when toothpicks and normal toothbrushes do the job fine.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't find the mold process a bad experience at all.

You will likely feel a lot of pressure from the braces - I did every time they were tightened every 6 weeks. Like other commenters say, the wax will be your friend as they will stop any wires from irritating your inner mouth/gums.

ReputationRep:
    I used interdental brushes - they are small, long, thin brushes that come in varying sizes. Very useful for cleaning in between the teeth

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 10, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.