Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Applying for History at Oxford and St Andrews, which both require a minimum of AAA.

I'm predicted A*A*AB, and I'm not sure whether that B will be a help or a hidrance.

Should I drop that subject? It's chemistry so it's not particularly relevant to the course, but I'd rather not drop it.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    It's better to get A*A*A* than A*A*AB I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArcaneMists)
    It's better to get A*A*A* than A*A*AB I think.
    I'd agree with that, but I'm not predicted an A* in one of those subjects. Not sure if it would be better to drop Chemistry and get A*A*A or those three and a B.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PcgamR11)
    Hi all,

Applying for History at Oxford and St Andrews, which both require a minimum of AAA.

I'm predicted A*A*AB, and I'm not sure whether that B will be a help or a hidrance.

Should I drop that subject? It's chemistry so it's not particularly relevant to the course, but I'd rather not drop it.

Thanks
    Our standard advice is to discuss dropping A-levels with your teachers as they are best placed to offer guidance. We know that many applicants review their A-levels once they know their UCAS outcomes and the terms of any conditional offer.

A fourth (extra) A-level will not have any bearing on the likelihood of receiving an offer. If you receive an AAA offer and the school feel you can achieve this while studying Chemistry, then that would be something to consider seriously. A fourth A-level provides more ways of achieving the terms of an offer and in a worst-case scenario, results of (say) A*ABB might- conceivably - be more likely to result in admission than A*AB if you also had extenuating circumstances and also if the A* or A is in History.

We hope this is helpful but please talk to your teachers and/or director of 6th Form.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PcgamR11)
    Hi all,

Thanks
    Out of curiosity what are your other subjects?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fonzworth)
    Out of curiosity what are your other subjects?
    A* in English Language, A* in History, A in German and B in Chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    I dropped a surplus A2 after discussing it on an Oxford Open Day in LVI and with my parents and teachers. It was not relevant to History and was taking as much time as the others combined (but I completed the AS in LVI as it was not yet reformed and got my A). I got my Oxford offer and made my grades without the worry/stress of the effort of striving for parity in a weaker 'bonus' subject dragging me down so it worked for me. The flip side is it does leave you exposed if you have a bad day in one of the core 3 exams and that backfired for a friend. It is a balance of risk really. No 'right' answer.

The advice to discuss with your teachers is sound. My personal advice, if you keep the 4th subject don't let it suck away time from the core three. Give them the time they need. Timetable your week to ensure it. Then be prepared to do the extra needed to give you a credible shot for the 'weaker' fourth recognising that is might be disproportionate/greater and may eat into your leisure time. Guard against it impinging on your ability to do extra reading around history which is useful development, good PS content & interview preparation.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.