Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone.

I am currently on a gap year after a-levels and have applied to do Literary Studies at the University of Amsterdam. Has anyone else on here applied to this Uni ?

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to apply over Christmas to do political science! How much of your application have you done?

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of applying for sociology! I'm a bit confused about the CV though? Very different to personal statement and feel like it's so irrelevant to the course :/

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying to PPLE there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morganwalker31)
    I'm thinking of applying for sociology! I'm a bit confused about the CV though? Very different to personal statement and feel like it's so irrelevant to the course :/
    I think basically include stuff from your personal statement but in bullet point form and focus on your extra-curricula stuff
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MonstrousColonel)
    I'm going to apply over Christmas to do political science! How much of your application have you done?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DreamlinerFinder)
    Same course!, also looking at Political Science, not applying until late March though, if I do, as I need to visit, missed the Oct open day.
    I missed the open day as well lol, but I visited last year and really loved the country. Some of the unis have virtual tours which I found helpful, and addmissions have also been super friendly and great x
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I missed the open day as well lol, but I visited last year and really loved the country. Some of the unis have virtual tours which I found helpful, and addmissions have also been super friendly and great x
    Alarmingly, I haven't even visited the country!!!- I've got quite a bit of research to do, and want to wait for my UCAS to go in first

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yes! I applied a few weeks ago but the head of Admissions told me that my course is non-selective so I should be able to enrol soon. They need scans of GCSE and A-level certificates btw !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DreamlinerFinder)
    Alarmingly, I haven't even visited the country!!!- I've got quite a bit of research to do, and want to wait for my UCAS to go in first

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's really cheap to get to Amsterdam, especially on the Ferry from Hull :-) When I first went I just fell in love it's so wonderful.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lworthyx)
    It's really cheap to get to Amsterdam, especially on the Ferry from Hull :-) When I first went I just fell in love it's so wonderful.
    I've looked- intending to go to the March open day and going to make my decision after my UCAS has been sent and offers or not have come back. I've looked at pictures and thought that it's a amazing-looking place- but can't apply till I've been just to be on the safe side

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morganwalker31)
    I thought this too - they might just be looking for things on there relevant to the course :/ but idk

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone been to Amsterdam's open day? My friend has just got back from visiting a couple of universities in the Netherlands and she said that they were all super disorganized and that when she spoke to lecturers none of them seemed to know much about their subject and they didn't seems very interesting (she's a pretty negative person though so idk). I just feel that I need someone else's experience with Amsterdam (she didn't visit UoA) x
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I'm also a bit confused by the CV bit. Also, does anyone have some sort of entrance exams? I'm applying for psychology, and there will be some sort of exams from material given week in advance in Feb/March. I'm not really sure what to expect from that

ReputationRep:
    Hello. I just graduated from durham university and im applying to actuarial science for second degree. Does anyone know about the admission process? Do we need to attend interview for non-selective programme?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Hey all,

I'm a first-year linguistics student at the UvA. Ask me anything!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Niala)
    Hello. I just graduated from durham university and im applying to actuarial science for second degree. Does anyone know about the admission process? Do we need to attend interview for non-selective programme?
    No - that's why it's called non-selective! All they will need is your transcripts (perhaps your A-levels and your degree certificate, but I'd ask admissions if I were you), a CV and a "motivation letter", which is more or less similar to a UK personal statement (for my course, some pointers were given as to what they wanted students to include in the letter but I'd simply write about your interest in the subject, why you're applying to the Netherlands instead of the UK, your motivation and your previous experiece. We may be doing two very different courses, but I've been through the process so ask me anything!

ReputationRep:
    Hi Dorababy

How difficult was it for you to find accommodation for UvA? How much are you paying per month? Do you live with other students from your course/year group?

My worry about going to a Dutch uni is that there are no halls of residence or student union type places, most Dutch students live at home, so you don't get a true student life. Is this true?

How are you finding Dutch life? Are there opportunities to learn Dutch? I know most people speak English, but I would like to be near fluent in Dutch as one of the perks of going to uni in the Netherlands.

How intense is your course? In the UK some course have about 6 hours contact time a week (if you are lucky). How much contact time do you have and is it easy to navigate round the library if most of the texts are in Dutch?

How many are on your course and what is the mix of Dutch/non-Dutch?

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Breward)
    Hi Dorababy

How difficult was it for you to find accommodation for UvA? How much are you paying per month? Do you live with other students from your course/year group?

My worry about going to a Dutch uni is that there are no halls of residence or student union type places, most Dutch students live at home, so you don't get a true student life. Is this true?

How are you finding Dutch life? Are there opportunities to learn Dutch? I know most people speak English, but I would like to be near fluent in Dutch as one of the perks of going to uni in the Netherlands.

How intense is your course? In the UK some course have about 6 hours contact time a week (if you are lucky). How much contact time do you have and is it easy to navigate round the library if most of the texts are in Dutch?

How many are on your course and what is the mix of Dutch/non-Dutch?

Thanks in advance.

There may not be the kind of halls of residence you're used to, but there are so-called "campus complexes", where everyone has their own room (often including a small kitchen and a bathroom), but you can always go out with your neighbours or friends living in the same building, or you can all go to the comon room to have a chat or a party. I pay €485 per month, including all bills and service charges, and I get rent allowance ofr it as I don't have a high income. It's true that many Dutch students live at home, but not everyone - I do have a lot of friends here at the campus!

My course mates don't live in the same building, though. They all live somewhere else, but we do meet once a week outside classes: every Wednesday, there's a so-called "borrel" - we go to a café to chat and have fun (and those who do drink have a few drinks).

Be prepared for intensive years, with only *one* two-week holiday for and New Year's! However, the good news is that you're not going to take 8-9 exams in one go. Instead, there are blocks of 4 to 8 weeks (typically 2 8-week blocks and 1 4-week block per semester), with one to two subjects per block. You take your tests during this period and your final exams during exam week, which is typically the last week of the block.

Oh, and one more piece of advice: even though many Dutch people do indeed speak fluent English, it's great you want to learn Dutch, as not everyone speaks fluent English, and believe it or not, there are certain places where people are not allowed to use English (especially on the phone). I don't even use any English with my Dutch friends or Dutch professors outside English-taught classes!) I'm blind, by the way, and sometimes I need them to explain visual concepts more clearly and in private. And belive me, however good they may be at English, they keep telling me that if they had to explain all that in English, they'd constantly have to stop to think about the right word.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.