Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm a teen and I have been suffering secretly from anxiety, a small amount of self-doubt, but not depression. It doesnt help that my my mum is a big factor in it. She acts like shes happy to see me, I always have to be the one to say hi first, and give a hug. If i dont, she will just give me her keys and tell me to go home as a bribe. She always makes me feel like **** compared to my older sister, whos PERFECT to her - she does everything and never argues, and always gets the most in her classes. Im very smart aswell, infact smarter than my older sister, but my mother always says im dumb and will end up a nobody and i just feel HORRIBLE INSIDE, like trash. Sometimes I just want to go into my bed after coming home and just stay there, all afternoon, but then i force myself not to because i dont want to look "useless". Please someone tell me, why is my life like this. I just want to be happy, and I want my mother to love me.

ReputationRep:
    Hi svveden,

I'm so sorry to hear you are going through this- particularly from the person most of us hold highest in regard, a mother.

What's important is you do not believe the negative things your mother is saying. You said it yourself- you are smart! Give yourself positive affirmations, do all you can to keep positivity in your life. You didn't mention the relationship you have with your sister, but maybe try to do some activities together so you don't feel like you're against her, you can support each other.

Your mother is wrong, and I don't know the reasons for why she is behaving this way, or if she needs help herself. She may be projecting onto you how she feels about herself?

It's so important you have belief in yourself, and try and be strong. Your mother may be the one who gave birth to you but you are in control of your own happiness. Have you thought about writing her a letter about how you feel? I think you are a strong person, and thank you for sharing your situation as it may give someone else the confidence to address something difficult in their lives.

I hope I have helped in some way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by svveden)
    Hi, I'm a teen and I have been suffering secretly from anxiety, a small amount of self-doubt, but not depression. It doesnt help that my my mum is a big factor in it. She acts like shes happy to see me, I always have to be the one to say hi first, and give a hug. If i dont, she will just give me her keys and tell me to go home as a bribe. She always makes me feel like **** compared to my older sister, whos PERFECT to her - she does everything and never argues, and always gets the most in her classes. Im very smart aswell, infact smarter than my older sister, but my mother always says im dumb and will end up a nobody and i just feel HORRIBLE INSIDE, like trash. Sometimes I just want to go into my bed after coming home and just stay there, all afternoon, but then i force myself not to because i dont want to look "useless". Please someone tell me, why is my life like this. I just want to be happy, and I want my mother to love me.
    Aye. This is very similar to what happens to me.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by svveden)
    Hey,

I'm sorry to hear this.

What your mother says to you is very wrong. I guess she has anger, resentment, her own issues and is projecting them onto you and using you as a punchbag.

You need to stand up to your mother and say these things what she is saying, doing to you is not right and is hurting you, maybe once you do this, this may stop.

Praise yourself, you say you are smart. Be positive, look forward to the future and life in general.

As one poster mentioned, ignore this, stay strong and believe in yourself!

Big hugs

If you feel like you need to talk, feel free to PM me

ReputationRep:
    Ok guys, thanks so much for all the support. I've brought this up with my parents and now my mother promises she won't ever belittle me anymore. I forgive her.
    I am staying strong and it's safe to say that I'm finally recovering from anxiety and I definitely have no self doubt right now :bubbles:.
    (ik people don't recover so quickly, but I've taught myself I'm amazing just the way I am for a long time)
    THANKS!!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.