Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So for a little background info, I'm currently in year 12 and I do Biology, Sociology, psychology and Core Maths... I did average? (B's and C's in GCSE) because I just didn't think they would impact Uni as they mostly look at A levels... I'm so dumb and I'm regretting not taking Chemistry A level (I failed it. The coursework brought my Grade to a D, even though I got B's in my exam, I got an E in my coursework but I'm retaking it in January)

I wanted to do a Medicine with a Preliminary Year at Cardiff as they let students who didn't do the sciences at A levels do it. I want to apply in the future but they say the look at GCSE scores and have a 'point score system'.. they haven't gotten back to me when I asked them what were the typical scores for previous years....

I'm retaking the English Language as I got a 4 (C) and Chemistry... BTW... if any of you do Cardiff Preliminary Year or not, tell me what the typical Point score system is...

THANK YOUUUUUUU

ReputationRep:
    Hi I think the way that Cardiff uni works is that they want your GCSE grades mainly so it's 3 for an A*, 2 for an A and 1 for a B. They take your 9 top grades and give you a score out of 27. Then, depending on the quality of the students applying, they set a cut off point (usually 23-26) and make offers from there. If you are close to the cutoff then they will look at your personal statement to see. If you have A levels though they count towards your points in the same way I believe Hope this has helped

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.