Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

New foreign languages to be taught in UK state schools? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tyrell221)
    Hahaha yeah, OP seems to lack very basic logic and common sense. I can't understand how one would be stupid enough to think we should all learn japanese because of brexit.
    I didn't say we should just teach 'Japanese' after Brexit! If you bothered to read my original thread I said Russian AND Arabic as options in addition to Japanese and Asked what OTHER langauges could be taught too?

It may even be that language teaching should cease one day and perhaps it would be more beneficial to use the time to give extra, English Maths and Science Tuition. After all there's a lot of pupils who don't even manage to get GCSE grade C or above in Maths and English!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xBasedChris)
    You can't identify a joke, can you?
    Ah I see lol you mean teaching English is Welsh schools or in Cornwall where they have their own language.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ambitious1999)
    Ah I see lol you mean teaching English is Welsh schools or in Cornwall where they have their own language.
    actually London, Birmingham, Manchester

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...-language.html

ReputationRep:
    I sincerely hope that you are a troll.

ReputationRep:
    Ambitious1999 back at it again with the threads that make no ****in sense.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Japan also gave us Wagamama.
    :lol:

Definitely the best reason to learn Japanese

ReputationRep:
    This is at least the third trolling thread I've seen by you. I'm surprised you haven't been banned.

ReputationRep:
    Shouldn't we be learning Korean?
    Need to be ready for when N. Korea takes over the world

ReputationRep:
    American interns do not slave for hours to create anime subs just for us to go and LEARN JAPANESE!

ReputationRep:
    I think school pupils would look up to learning Japanese, Russian or Arabic.

Japanese.
    The language from the country where Karate, Judo and later Kickboxing originated all of which are part of Mixed martial arts (MMA) a very popular sport in Britain.
    Japan also gave us Anime and Wagamama.

Russian.
    Russia is the nearest non-EU country and potentially our nearest trading partner after Brexit. Also Russia is a land of tough people, Cossacks and strongmen and rich buisness people for young people to aspire to.

Arabic
    Popular among Britain's many young muslims and those wanting to learn about the Middle East and the fastest growing religion.
    Maybe that's right... but I doubt Brexit will cause a change like this....but if it does and the three staple languages are taken away from us, then I wouldn't mind learning these languages. All im saying is i know for a fact i'll flop so hard xD

ReputationRep:
    my state school offered a variety of languages anyway aswell as many others (from spanish to mandarin to arabic) so i dont see your poibt

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by faloodeh)
    my state school offered a variety of languages anyway aswell as many others (from spanish to mandarin to arabic) so i dont see your poibt
    (Original post by mc_miah)
    Maybe that's right... but I doubt Brexit will cause a change like this....but if it does and the three staple languages are taken away from us, then I wouldn't mind learning these languages. All im saying is i know for a fact i'll flop so hard xD
    There are several examples in history where nations have banned some languages after a major change in politics or foreign policy.

China for a short period in the 1950s taught kids Russian when China was friendly with the USSR but in the 1960s China and Russia fell out and teaching of Russian was banned they even banned people having Russian dictionaries etc and China instead taught kids languages from the non-aligned pact such as Albanian, Yugoslavian (Serbo-Croat) and North Korean.
    China in the 1960s even banned the teaching of English which now is one of the most popular langauges taught in China.

So you could look at Brexit as being a bit like the sino Chinese- Soviet split.

ReputationRep:
    neither Russia, or Arabic countries, are a cultural and economical powerhouse.
    the most useful foreign language in the UK is probably Spanish (spoken in over 45 countries and rising; L1 + L2 ~ 390-470milion of people) or Mandarin (L1 + L2 ~ 865-950). Do I have to mention that Spanish is a "bit" easier for Anglophones to learn?
    Personally, I'd love to see Interlingua being taught in British schools- not for itself, but as an introduction to Romance languages + word building.
    Or Polish, which is 2nd most popular language in the UK
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    Is this supposed to be a joke?
    As with most of OPs threads yes.

I prefer to view them as weak attempts at satire, because the alternative (that being that he's serious) is far too unbelievable to picture.

ReputationRep:
    I think school pupils would look up to learning Japanese, Russian or Arabic.

Japanese.
    The language from the country where Karate, Judo and later Kickboxing originated all of which are part of Mixed martial arts (MMA) a very popular sport in Britain.
    Japan also gave us Anime and Wagamama.

Russian.
    Russia is the nearest non-EU country and potentially our nearest trading partner after Brexit. Also Russia is a land of tough people, Cossacks and strongmen and rich buisness people for young people to aspire to.

Arabic
    Popular among Britain's many young muslims and those wanting to learn about the Middle East and the fastest growing religion.
    Brexiters are too racists to allow Japanese people into the country so they only way you can teach it is by Skype.

ReputationRep:
    In practical terms, for an average British person, French and German are still going to be the most useful languages to learn for a considerable time yet. The usefulness of Chinese as language is overstated, and a particular flavour of Spanish is only useful if you actually intend to work or deal with a particular area of the world.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    :lol:

Definitely the best reason to learn Japanese
    Wagamama means 'selfishness' . . .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onde)
    In practical terms, for an average British person, French and German are still going to be the most useful languages to learn for a considerable time yet. The usefulness of Chinese as language is overstated, and a particular flavour of Spanish is only useful if you actually intend to work or deal with a particular area of the world.
    Chinese has so many dialects it would be too difficult to learn. French German and Spanish will be useful for the forseable future but after Brexit there could be heavy restrictions on Brits travelling to any EU country let alone trying to be allowed to work, study, live or retire.
    Spanish however is useful for countries like Chile, Cuba etc.

ReputationRep:
    Russia is the nearest non-EU country
    You think incorrectly, unless you are of the belief that Switzerland and Norway (nations in the EEA) are tied in so much Eurolegislation that they may as well be in the EU.
    --------------------------------
    I go to school in Cornwall, and the only time I've heard anyone speak Cornish is for promotions to learn the language by MAGA or people like them (well, that and the odd YouTube video or two), and never at preschool, primary, or secondary school. There is no such animal as GCSE Cornish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    I think we should continue with French, German and Spanish, the third of which is widely spoken in the US.
    Do you know which language is even more widely spoken in the US, particularly in business?

If you’re going to break away from the European languages people learn the best one to teach would be Mandarin
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.