Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Mature student... 2 kids ! Can I manage studying medicine? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Please I need help to make my mind up preferably from people that have done it or know someone who has done it.
    I'm 28 years old, I have 2 children (8 and 19 months old).
    Until now my husband insisted I'll be stay at home mum but I've always wanted to be a doctor I now want to do the Access to HE course to apply to uni.
    I just want to know how the degree looks like? Like I've said I have kids so I just want to know whether it's doable and managing studying medicine at the same time!
    Please help really need some help!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I am not studying medicine but I want to say that if you're really passionate then go for it! All I know is that it is really, really hard. You've got to be 100% committed because you will have to do a lot of placements, including working long hours and night shifts. As long as you've got support network in place so that you know your kiddies will be taken care of, then no reason why you cannot go on your journey? Good luck with whatever you decide!

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I am in a similar situation to you. I am 22 and have two young children (3 and 5 months old) I have always wanted to be a doctor and I believe now is the right time. My wife is very supportive with my decision and has been a great encouragement. I am currently in the process of doing my UCAS application to study Medicine Foundation at Carmel College.

There is no doubt that Medicine is a very difficult degree and not one that I would have considered if I wasn't so passionate about being a doctor. As socialscience92 has mentioned, the course is not only very academically challenging, there are also placements involved and the hours can be very long and will be very stressful.

In my position, I have a good support network around me, as my wife is willing to work to support us and my mother and nana are willing to help look after our children.

If Medicine is your passion, then you should 100% go for it and I wish you all the best 😊

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by socialscience92)
    I am not studying medicine but I want to say that if you're really passionate then go for it! All I know is that it is really, really hard. You've got to be 100% committed because you will have to do a lot of placements, including working long hours and night shifts. As long as you've got support network in place so that you know your kiddies will be taken care of, then no reason why you cannot go on your journey? Good luck with whatever you decide!
    Hi, thank you for your response. The reason why it's so hard to decide is because I don't have any support network. We have a family business that my husband is fully committed to and he thinks that apart from home the business should be my only interest. As for parents, nana etc they are not willing to help at all 😞
    I'd have to hire possibly a childminder but I am not very trusting especially when it comes to my children..:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdamBrennan95)
    Hello,

I am in a similar situation to you. I am 22 and have two young children (3 and 5 months old) I have always wanted to be a doctor and I believe now is the right time. My wife is very supportive with my decision and has been a great encouragement. I am currently in the process of doing my UCAS application to study Medicine Foundation at Carmel College.

There is no doubt that Medicine is a very difficult degree and not one that I would have considered if I wasn't so passionate about being a doctor. As socialscience92 has mentioned, the course is not only very academically challenging, there are also placements involved and the hours can be very long and will be very stressful.

In my position, I have a good support network around me, as my wife is willing to work to support us and my mother and nana are willing to help look after our children.

If Medicine is your passion, then you should 100% go for it and I wish you all the best 😊
    Adam, hi thank you. I don't have any support network whatsoever and I am so jealous that you have such fantastic spouse that is willing to support you every step of the way! You're lucky man!
    Medicine is my passion, particularly surgery field but I just feel that if no one is behind me then how can I do it with 2 kids 😞 I don't want any regrets in my life though. I still have to do Access to medicine course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by annaguy6666)
    Adam, hi thank you. I don't have any support network whatsoever and I am so jealous that you have such fantastic spouse that is willing to support you every step of the way! You're lucky man!
    Medicine is my passion, particularly surgery field but I just feel that if no one is behind me then how can I do it with 2 kids 😞 I don't want any regrets in my life though. I still have to do Access to medicine course.
    There is help available, you can get support with childcare whilst on your degree, to put your children into day care whilst you study. If you go on the student finance calculator and work it out on yours and your partner's combined income, it will tell you how much support you can get with childcare. You can also get similar support whilst on your access course.

Do you not think that your husband would support you at all? Would he not be willing to support you financially throughout your access course? It will benefit your family in the long run once you've qualified.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.