University Adverts Watch

This discussion is closed.
[-David-]
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
So ive seen two now, one from De Montford and one from Dundee. Do you think this is a good idea? advertising universities on television, or just a cheap shot to try and get people to apply there.
sparkler
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
have you not seen the middlesex one?? it was on ALL the time! got quite annoying...

:rolleyes:
Lucifer
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
A university should be judged on how well it can educate, not how much money its willing to plough into advertising campaigns.
[-David-]
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lucifer)
A university should be judged on how well it can educate, not how much money its willing to plough into advertising campaigns.
indeed, its like this de montford advert. The setting is that this woman is approaching this company for a job interview, there are others that are applying for the same job that are sitting and waiting.

The receptionist asks her name and the interviewee said "Ms Tompson" (or something), as she walks to sit down and the receptionist turns around as the interviewee is finding a seat and says "Oh, we've got two Tompsons here, are you the one from De Montford?" and the other prospective employees got a bit anxious and eventually leave.

The ad ends with the logo coming up and the lady saying on the phone "Mum, i got the job!"

Just sounds really cheesy and whatnot
[-David-]
Rep:
?
(Original post by sparkler)
have you not seen the middlesex one?? it was on ALL the time! got quite annoying...

:rolleyes:
Dont beleive I have..
Lucifer
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by [-David-])
indeed, its like this de montford advert. The setting is that this woman is approaching this company for a job interview, there are others that are applying for the same job that are sitting and waiting.

The receptionist asks her name and the interviewee said "Ms Tompson" (or something), as she walks to sit down and the receptionist turns around as the interviewee is finding a seat and says "Oh, we've got two Tompsons here, are you the one from De Montford?" and the other prospective employees got a bit anxious and eventually leave.

The ad ends with the logo coming up and the lady saying on the phone "Mum, i got the job!"

Just sounds really cheesy and whatnot
Meh, doesn't sound like they've ploughed much money into it at all then .
trev
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Probably there aren't enough people to join the university that's why they are advertising.
Dr. Blazed
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by [-David-])

Clearly, they're just worried about being associated with De Montfort. That's their real reaction, not acting.
Mark_KK
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
If these universities are so good then why do they have to advertise in the first place?

Middlesex dubbed itself a "top 20 university" in the advert - yea right!
ChemistBoy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
"Are you the one from De Montfort?"

"Yes"

"Well f**k off"
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Salford also did a campagin. It is about trying to raise standards. Any university can fill up places by they will probably get DDD places to fill them (the bottom 50 or so universities). If they have TV adds then applicants will raise and so will entry standards thus in theory increasing league table positions which in term attracrs better quality students.
EPD
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
Salford also did a campagin.
I remember it well - Salford, a *greater* Manchester University
Mark_KK
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ChemistBoy)
"Are you the one from De Montfort?"

"Yes"

"Well f**k off"
LOL, they could have Britney Spears, Carmen Electra and Cat Deeley all licking ice cream off each other and it still would not convince me to do to De Montford, Middlesex or Salford.
Lucifer
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Mark_KK)
LOL, they could have Britney Spears, Carmen Electra and Cat Deeley all licking ice cream off each other and it still would not convince me to do to De Montford, Middlesex or Salford.
I don't think any sane, intelligent person would change their mind over such an important decision because of some stupid advert .
trev
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The adverts won't influence me on apply for that university and stuff like that.
Mark_KK
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The only sort of people these adverts are likley to influence are those of lesser academic ability.

Most "good" students will have made their mind up and will be applying to places of better reputation.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I think people are just missing the point. The idea is to sub conciously put an image into peoples heads. So when people might decide to apply to university in a few years time places like Salford or Middlesex won't be unheared.

Also Mark I wouldn't be so cocky about Hull if I were you.
Mark_KK
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

Also Mark I wouldn't be so cocky about Hull if I were you.

Ewww....handbags .

There is evidence of teaching at Hull University since the early 1900's and it was granted it's university charter in the 1960's.

I guarantee you that if it were not for the geographical location of Hull this place would be knocking on the door of the university top 20. Problem is Hull is bottom of the schools legaue tables and has the lowest % of people going on to university of any city / town in the country. As a result of it's geographical location and the mostly unfounded reputation of being a bad place to live applicant numbers are low and most of the people that end up here either are as a result of insurance option, being a local student or clearing.

In any event the Law school is well thought of and if it makes us more of a credible place we now have a medical school albeit in a joint venture with York.

People are on here being cocky about Lancaster and Newcastle so why not Hull? It is just as good if not better then the former places and for my chosen subject it is rated highly.

Average offer across the board is 240 U.C.A.S. points (3 C's) so hardly what you would call a doss hole.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I wasn't saying that it was a dole whole but in alot of threads you seem to imply that you're too good for a lot of places like you have with the likes of Middlesex and Salford. Salford was granted University Status in the 1960's as well.

Wait in a few weeks time when the new Sunday Times league table comes out there will be some statistics which may surprise you.
Mark_KK
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I wasn't saying that it was a dole whole but in alot of threads you seem to imply that you're too good for a lot of places like you have with the likes of Middlesex and Salford. Salford was granted University Status in the 1960's as well.

Wait in a few weeks time when the new Sunday Times league table comes out there will be some statistics which may surprise you.
Did the Sunday Times league tables not come out some time ago (two or three months back) and according to their webside Hull is in the early thirties for Law?

I am not trying to be *****y but I consulted several top local solicitors (ironically none of whom studied at Hull) before making my U.C.A.S. application. All of these people rated Hull highly. In any event my exam results show that I probably could have gone somewhere a bit better but aslong as you go somewhere reasonably decent it's all much of a muchness.

All I know about Salford is that it features near the bottom of most league tables and my freinds who went to U.M.I.S.T. and Manchester said that it was the butt of jokes amongst their fellow students. Some people that I met at the Manchester University Students Union were even to embarrased to admit that they studied at Salford.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (117)
80.69%
Leave (28)
19.31%

Watched Threads