The Student Room Group

Pros and cons of studying in/near London??

I'm currently looking at my university options and Royal Holloway is one of them, if not my first choice. Other choices include York, UEA and Manchester. I just want to know pros and cons of studying in London, as I'm from the North and don't really know what to expect!
pros: best city - services nightlife
cons: expensive
Original post by katyallison1505
I'm currently looking at my university options and Royal Holloway is one of them, if not my first choice. Other choices include York, UEA and Manchester. I just want to know pros and cons of studying in London, as I'm from the North and don't really know what to expect!

I haven't started uni yet but I can try and give you my opinion from the years of living here.
PROS:
You'll meet all kinds of people since London is a very diverse city.
Everything you'd need is within a mile radius (exaggerating but get the idea)
Many of the London universities use each others' libraries (plus as you may know they generally have great reputation)
CONS:
Crowded
There aren't really that many campus universities here (if that's what you're looking for) so you won't really experience the "true uni experience"

In a nutshell I'd say that you should go for it :h:.
(edited 6 years ago)
Super lively and huge city but can be overwhelming. Everything is loads more expensive even like groceries in tesco are sooo much more expensive than in the North. main centre of the UK in terms of culture and art and things going on; although in the U.K. most cities are fairly the same so even big cities in the north you could have access to amenities just as easy as you could in London, and usually just as multicultural (esp Manchester which is real diverse)
Original post by FaZe Clan
pros: best city - services nightlife
cons: expensive

lol " best city "
Reply 5
Im a final year student at a London uni and am living at home

Pros: Diversity, good choice of clubs/restaurants etc, closer links with companies who have head offices in london who give workshops etc and can perhaps share other London uni facilities
Cons: Expensive, accommodation on campus isn't really guaranteed beyond first year so people are often dispersed everywhere due to cost and overcrowding in central, even if you live in accommodation, it will likely be with people from other London unis and not just yours. Can be difficult to make friends as most students (in my uni anyway) are international meaning they fly back home during holidays.

Looking back, I would not recommend going to uni in London as you do miss out on the uni experience, if I had to make the decision now, I would most likely go to another big city.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending