Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How hard it is to do biology,chemistry and physics at a level is the work load too much or manageable, and how hard is physics?

ReputationRep:
    Physics will most likely take up a lot of time if you're taking all three because it's tough.

Usually, you'll only need a max of 2 sciences for whatever you want to study further, but if you want to go for it, sure.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    People often say that physics is a lot harder if you don’t do maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fractite)
    Physics will most likely take up a lot of time if you're taking all three because it's tough.

Usually, you'll only need a max of 2 sciences for whatever you want to study further, but if you want to go for it, sure.
    it's because i want to do medicine and i know that doing 3 sciences increase my chances even though two is required.

ReputationRep:
    Papa Franku
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    sorry?

(Original post by (:)^2)
    Papa Franku

ReputationRep:
    do maths

ReputationRep:
    It will be a lot of work- people have done it before, so I suppose it depends on your individual circumstances.

Maybe ask your current teachers?

ReputationRep:
    Doing 3 sciences doesn't increase your chance. You're required to take in most cases Chemistry plus another science so Biology or Physics and then an additional subject of your choice. I know someone that is doing Biology, Chemistry & English Lit. and is applying for Med so if you're not particularly pleased with doing those 3 you could just do Chem + Biology or Physics + another subject of your choice. Trust me A levels can be tough, ESPECIALLy if you don't enjoy your subject or have a real passion and drive for studying that subject because you won't have the will power to study for them. Btw I'm applying for Med and I'm doing Biology, Chemistry & Maths. Hope this was useful, enjoy your day!
    (Original post by x.beheshta)
    it's because i want to do medicine and i know that doing 3 sciences increase my chances even though two is required.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pedaly7)
    do maths
    Yes maths is also an option is it easier than physics?

ReputationRep:
    Yes maths is also an option is it easier than physics?
    maths helps a lot with all three subjects. mechanics for physics, statistics for biology and just understanding maths in general for chemistry calculations. Honestly it's your choice whatever you like more. I'm applying for medicine and I don't do physics but I know people who don't do biology and want to do medicine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Appio001)
    Doing 3 sciences doesn't increase your chance. You're required to take in most cases Chemistry plus another science so Biology or Physics and then an additional subject of your choice. I know someone that is doing Biology, Chemistry & English Lit. and is applying for Med so if you're not particularly pleased with doing those 3 you could just do Chem + Biology or Physics + another subject of your choice. Trust me A levels can be tough, ESPECIALLy if you don't enjoy your subject or have a real passion and drive for studying that subject because you won't have the will power to study for them. Btw I'm applying for Med and I'm doing Biology, Chemistry & Maths. Hope this was useful, enjoy your day!
    Thanks thats very helpful, its only because kings college university statistics showed that more people who did 3 sciences got a place compared to people that did 2. and also how did u find maths a level as I'm also considering that option, and how big of a jump is it from gcse? thanks

ReputationRep:
    Physics would be extremely hard if you don't do maths since mechanics are closely entwined. However it all goes down with exam board of the subjects. Because significant amount of people failed physics or chemistry due to ridiculous and odd questions given (e.g. such as those from AQA board). So be careful and make sure you learn every exam question scenario.

ReputationRep:
    thats great i hope you get in

(Original post by Pedaly7)
    maths helps a lot with all three subjects. mechanics for physics, statistics for biology and just understanding maths in general for chemistry calculations. Honestly it's your choice whatever you like more. I'm applying for medicine and I don't do physics but I know people who don't do biology and want to do medicine.

ReputationRep:
    How hard it is to do biology,chemistry and physics at a level is the work load too much or manageable, and how hard is physics?

I will have done all 3 sciences by the end of this year. I did Biology last year and got a B. This year Im doing A2 chemistry and All of A level Physics in one year. Provided you study and go over the work you should be fine. It will take a bit of time to get used to it but it is manageable. As for Physics, I'd say that it is manageable and from personal experience (of five weeks) is a lot simpler to understand than some aspects of chemistry

ReputationRep:
    I do all of them and Maths so far they aren't that hard because I'm in Y12. However, I doubt it'll get easier as you go on. I can say that if you're taking Physics with Maths, the calculations in Physics will be easier.

ReputationRep:
    (Just to refer to some comments on here)
    Physics and Maths compliment each other well. But if youre naturally mathematical, which I imagine you will be if you take triple science A-Level, you'll be fine.

In terms of taking all 3, some people are good at one therefore find the others easier. If you got B's at GCSE you may struggle. Depends on the person. Hard work load, doable with enough commitment. Good luck 😊

ReputationRep:
    thanks thats great i understand gcse physics better than maths though do you think i would therefore be stronger at physics for a level

(Original post by FloralHybrid)
    (Just to refer to some comments on here)
    Physics and Maths compliment each other well. But if youre naturally mathematical, which I imagine you will be if you take triple science A-Level, you'll be fine.

In terms of taking all 3, some people are good at one therefore find the others easier. If you got B's at GCSE you may struggle. Depends on the person. Hard work load, doable with enough commitment. Good luck 😊

ReputationRep:
    Oo okay, wasn't aware of this. Maths is a wonderful subject to study in my opinion in terms of its similarities to GCSE the first module I did was C1 which was a non-calculator based exam which is very much similar to GCSE Maths but the others are slightly different. It is challenging at times but very rewarding and the good thing about Maths is that its purely application so once you understand the basic principles you are able to do very well of course with effective revision. But honestly this is a subjective opinion. Some of my closest friends can't stand Maths so even though I talk about ti being great that's my opinion so it may be different to your views. But one thing I'd say when sondiering subjects is try and look at the syllabusn provided for your school look at what the course entails and look at some practice examples. If you think that you'd be interested in it then go for it, if not that's still okay there are lots more options you could go for!
    Thanks thats very helpful, its only because kings college university statistics showed that more people who did 3 sciences got a place compared to people that did 2. and also how did u find maths a level as I'm also considering that option, and how big of a jump is it from gcse? thanks
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    It is hard to cope with three sciences at A levels. Biology has the greatest extent in learning the facts and the lots (relevant) details, in chemistry you have to understand the meanings of reactions and chemical reagents, the reaction mechanisms and what steps in reactions come next. Physics is the hardest in my opinion: you need a very good understanding for the introduced experiments, the results of experiments, for the physical laws and considerations in general and you have to be good in mathematics! the calculations are enormous and extensive. That is the most difficult part in A levels physics! it is even expected that you are able to set up equations and to deduce them.

Those are the experiences of a former student who has taken those sciences at A levels.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.