Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone else thinking of dropping out of UoM? I feel like it's not the right place for me, it's far too big and sort of 'faceless' - like no one would care if I was there or not. The lectures are all really boring and poor quality, and the tutorials worse. Anyone else in the same position? I keep hearing about people dropping out so it can't just be me! Anyone in 2nd or 3rd year - does it get better?

ReputationRep:
    What are you studying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeapingLucy)
    What are you studying?
    BA economics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stressedaquarius)
    Is anyone else thinking of dropping out of UoM? I feel like it's not the right place for me, it's far too big and sort of 'faceless' - like no one would care if I was there or not. The lectures are all really boring and poor quality, and the tutorials worse. Anyone else in the same position? I keep hearing about people dropping out so it can't just be me! Anyone in 2nd or 3rd year - does it get better?
    It gets way better dude, to be honest, i would stay just for the city which i love for its cultural and racial variation x

ReputationRep:
    My daughter is in second year at UOM. She had a hard time when she started last year and thought of dropping out ( similar reasons to yours ) . I persuaded her to persevere till Christmas and decide then. She felt more settled down by then and managed to carry on.

She still doesn't like Manchester , feeling the city is too big for her . University experience is not the best for her. She carries on only because she needs to for her future career.

I guess you have to decide whether the course is right for you. (My nephew also started university last year doing computer science . He dropped out at Christmas and restarted this year doing business management . He is a lot happier now ) .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elayne429)
    My daughter is in second year at UOM. She had a hard time when she started last year and thought of dropping out ( similar reasons to yours ) . I persuaded her to persevere till Christmas and decide then. She felt more settled down by then and managed to carry on.

She still doesn't like Manchester , feeling the city is too big for her . University experience is not the best for her. She carries on only because she needs to for her future career.

I guess you have to decide whether the course is right for you. (My nephew also started university last year doing computer science . He dropped out at Christmas and restarted this year doing business management . He is a lot happier now ) .
    Thanks for your thoughts. Does she wish she'd applied to a smaller university, or one in a smaller city?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your thoughts. Does she wish she'd applied to a smaller university, or one in a smaller city?
    Yes or no.
    She feels that UOM is not very caring ( not sure whether it is the particular course or general ) we kind of know because the student satisfaction score is quite low compared to the other choice according to UNISTAT. However she is wanting to be near home and can't stand two and a half hours train journey home as opposed to 35 mins. And there is no guarantee that the other university will be better.
    I still think that if the course is right then try to stick to it at least until Christmas before you decide .
    Good luck x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elayne429)
    Yes or no.
    She feels that UOM is not very caring ( not sure whether it is the particular course or general ) we kind of know because the student satisfaction score is quite low compared to the other choice according to UNISTAT. However she is wanting to be near home and can't stand two and a half hours train journey home as opposed to 35 mins. And there is no guarantee that the other university will be better.
    I still think that if the course is right then try to stick to it at least until Christmas before you decide .
    Good luck x
    Haha we sound like we'd get on well! I have an hour's journey which is pretty tiring, two and a half would be horrific.
    I agree, it isn't at all a caring place. I feel like if I did quit nobody would notice or care. I didn't realise the student satisfaction was so low - I'm going to have a look at UNISTAT now!

ReputationRep:
    I did my BA at Manc and nearly dropped out in first yr too.
    It's too big and the majority of people there are just rich kids who came to party and aren't particularly nice or friendly.

ReputationRep:
    Give it a term and then if you still wan't to drop out it's still early days remember that

ReputationRep:
    Is something wrong with UOM? I was considering applying there (sadly can't make it to tomorrows open day) but the university seems to have rather low student satisfaction and high drop out rates. A lot of people seem to complain of isolation which is odd considering how large and diverse the university is meant to be.

ReputationRep:
    You need to speak to previous students to find out how caring the university is.

Some universities care about the students grades rather than their health and well being.

If you genuinely enjoy the course, perserve then transfer next year to a smaller university.

Good luck with whatever you decide

ReputationRep:
    The Uni of Manchester is one of the best unis in the UK.
    It has downsides: it's very big and impersonal and is mostly white rich people.
    Upsides: lots of party fun and you'll get a top degree. People are impressed if you say you went to Manchester, it's known to be good!

Prestige was always important to me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by "mature"student)
    Is something wrong with UOM? I was considering applying there (sadly can't make it to tomorrows open day) but the university seems to have rather low student satisfaction and high drop out rates. A lot of people seem to complain of isolation which is odd considering how large and diverse the university is meant to be.
    I think it just depends on what sort of place you're suited to. Perhaps I wasn't very smart in choosing UoM and should have gone somewhere smaller. Do you like the sound of a really huge place where you really just have to help yourself and get along, but has a massive social side to match, or not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ishax)
    You need to speak to previous students to find out how caring the university is.

Some universities care about the students grades rather than their health and well being.

If you genuinely enjoy the course, perserve then transfer next year to a smaller university.

Good luck with whatever you decide
    Thanks for your supportive advice. You're right, I need to quiz some 2nd and 3rd years, and graduates!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stickylikehoney)
    The Uni of Manchester is one of the best unis in the UK.
    It has downsides: it's very big and impersonal and is mostly white rich people.
    Upsides: lots of party fun and you'll get a top degree. People are impressed if you say you went to Manchester, it's known to be good!

Prestige was always important to me!
    I can never work out whether Manchester is prestigious or not, I get different signals! I could actually have gone somewhere better with my grades, and the knowledge of that, plus not being happy there, is the final straw!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stickylikehoney)
    I did my BA at Manc and nearly dropped out in first yr too.
    It's too big and the majority of people there are just rich kids who came to party and aren't particularly nice or friendly.
    What persuaded you to stay? Did it get better?

ReputationRep:
    In a big city like Manchester, its big enough that life would carry on whether you are there or not, that's just the nature of a large city at uni or otherwise, maybe you need to find 'your group' of friends to feel part of the community. If you come from a village or small town where everyone knows everyone else (and their business) it might feel alienating. However, culturally a large city has far more to offer than a smaller city/town.

Lectures are very different to learning at school/college. I would personally argue they are a poor way of learning anything but this is the system. Even in a degree you like it is rare to like all your courses.

Ask yourself whether beyond the course you are enjoying it, how is life in Halls, making new friends etc. I would personally say it is too early to give up now even if things arent working great yet - if you do end up dropping out I think you need a clear plan and be sure whether how you feel would be specific to UoM or every uni, the grass isn't always greener etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wimbs)
    In a big city like Manchester, its big enough that life would carry on whether you are there or not, that's just the nature of a large city at uni or otherwise, maybe you need to find 'your group' of friends to feel part of the community. If you come from a village or small town where everyone knows everyone else (and their business) it might feel alienating. However, culturally a large city has far more to offer than a smaller city/town.

Lectures are very different to learning at school/college. I would personally argue they are a poor way of learning anything but this is the system. Even in a degree you like it is rare to like all your courses.

Ask yourself whether beyond the course you are enjoying it, how is life in Halls, making new friends etc. I would personally say it is too early to give up now even if things arent working great yet - if you do end up dropping out I think you need a clear plan and be sure whether how you feel would be specific to UoM or every uni, the grass isn't always greener etc.
    I come from a big London commuter town. To be honest I've actually been surprised how quickly you get from one side of Manchester to another. My problem isn't really with the city (which I'm fairly familiar with anyway), it's with UoM.

But you're right that the grass isn't always greener, and I need to do some research about places that might suit me better.

ReputationRep:
    hi
    im 3rd year acc.finance at UoM
    lectures are godawful
    I literally skipped 100% (all of them) last year and will also do the same this year because you can just read slides by your own from blackboard
    workshop also same, but there is attendance for that so you can't skip it.
    about daily life, well it was fun, but this is my final year so I'm already sick of it

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.