Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    i am currently in year 13 and will be sending off my personal statement in january. i want to study history (with international relations) and i want to go to UCL. However they want A*AA - AAA. My AS grades are ABC and i am predicted AAB this year. is it worth applying to a UCL? I know that i am defo not applying to LSE. so if UCL isn't for me then i don't know what uni to apply today too. HELP.

ReputationRep:
    You can always go for it you never know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonymous58700)
    i am currently in year 13 and will be sending off my personal statement in january. i want to study history (with international relations) and i want to go to UCL. However they want A*AA - AAA. My AS grades are ABC and i am predicted AAB this year. is it worth applying to a UCL? I know that i am defo not applying to LSE. so if UCL isn't for me then i don't know what uni to apply today too. HELP.
    I applied for biochemistry with AAB predicted when the requirements were 3As. They gave me an offer for a different course (applied medsci) and rejected me for biochemistry. If your application all-round is strong and your PS is fully oriented to history you should still give it a try.

ReputationRep:
    First of all, check with UCL who is eligible for the lower grade range (its usually those from specific lower performing schools).

If the standard offer is A*AA then you dont have a hope with AAB. Some unis wil consider predicted grades one grade below - but not two grades, especially when it's an A* course. They ask for A* because they know they will get it - so why would they look at anyone with a B grade.

You could simply not apply this year, work hard for the best possible grades that you can, and if you get A*AA, apply next year for 2019 start.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    First of all, check with UCL who is eligible for the lower grade range (its usually those from specific lower performing schools).

If the standard offer is A*AA then you dont have a hope with AAB. Some unis wil consider predicted grades one grade below - but not two grades, especially when it's an A* course. They ask for A* because they know they will get it - so why would they look at anyone with a B grade.

You could simply not apply this year, work hard for the best possible grades that you can, and if you get A*AA, apply next year for 2019 start.
    Agree entirely. If your heart is really set on UCL, I would take a year out instead of applying this year. Work as hard as you can for A levels, then if you get AAA or above apply for 2019 entry.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.