Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can you hear this?? Song rip off... Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have a CD in my car and it's been there for a few weeks. I haven't bothered to change it so I hear the same stuff over and over on my commute.

For the past week, one particular song has caught my attention because I knew that I definitely recognized the guitar riff but I couldn't place it.

Specifically it's the opening guitar riff which runs through the track.

It's a song called 'Nikita' by Elton John and after a week of listening to it everyday, today I worked it out. The guitar riff which sounds like a 'rip off' is in Daft Punk'/Pharrel Williams' song 'Get Lucky'. The difference is the tempo - it's been sped up in 'Get Lucky'.

Once I realized it was so obvious. I've been driven mad by this for a week so would really like to hear opinions on this. I played it to a family member and they recognized it instantly when I pointed out the guitar riff. To be honest, I feel like I've just solved an infuriating jigsaw puzzle and want to show you! Can you hear it? If you switch the Elton John song to 1.25x speed and compare it's most obvious. In both songs, it's most clear in the first 0-10 seconds before the vocals kick in.

Track 1:

Change to 1.25x speed

Track 2:

I know some people may say that there are so many song writers and so few musical notes but this stuff is a huge deal in the music industry and I've heard songs that have ended up in court cases that don't sound anywhere as obvious as this.

ReputationRep:
    Marvin Gaye got it on with lawsuits against Robin Thicke, Pharrell (twice) and of course, Ed Sheeran.
    Sam Smith had to credit Tom Petty on Stay With Me.
    Don't forget Vanilla Ice vs Queen & Bowie.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    Marvin Gaye got it on with lawsuits against Robin Thicke, Pharrell (twice) and of course, Ed Sheeran.
    Sam Smith had to credit Tom Petty on Stay With Me.
    Don't forget Vanilla Ice vs Queen & Bowie.
    Wow, they're all at it!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not entirely sure you could call that a rip off... It's the same chord progression, but it doesn't really mean much on it's own... Hell, you can have very close similarities and not be ripping anyone off...

Listen to Rammstein's Ich Tu Dir Weh and Annihilator's Snap... They both sounds very similar...

Ich Tu Dir Weh was released in 2009
    Snap was released in 2015, but was written back in 2004. Presumably it was originally planned to be used on Schizo Deluxe, but got scrapped, instead that album saw Like Father, Like Gun, which had a relatively similar interpretation of the riff, although not as recognisable.

Two songs that sound quite similar, yet both written completely independent of the other. What you've pointed out is nothing more than music limits really... If you were going to copy someone, you'd copy a small guy, you wouldn't copy a guy like Elton John given that he's responsible for one of the biggest selling singles of all time, he's not exactly a small name.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 11, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.