Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

i’m not enjoying University and feel out of sorts Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi.. you don’t have to reply to this if you don’t want to - I just need a place to get my thoughts out.

Basically, I’m not enjoying University. I’ve been there for two weeks now. I understand that’s early days and my view could change but the days just seem so relentless.

I’m living/commuting from home and travelling to University every day rather than living on campus. As a result I haven’t joined any societies - a majority of the ones I’m interested in are on Saturdays and Sundays when I’ll be at home. It feels like a lot of the people on my course have made friends already. There is one girl I chat to but she’s starting to come across as if she doesn’t like me and so I’m trying to keep my distance.

It’s not that I hate the lectures/subjects/seminars - I always write notes and I find the subjects interesting. I can deal with the pace of the lectures etc I just dread going in every day and once I’m at home I dread the next day. The weeks seem to drag and by the time the weekend comes I’m already worrying about starting again on Monday. I dread being given essays and work to do and feel so unmotivated - usually unlike me as I loved my alevels, sixth form and have always been a good worker and achiever.

It just feels as if I’m back in school again, it doesn’t feel like I’m independent or anything or I’m having the exciting uni experience that everyone talks about. I felt so comfortable and happy at college, and I always thought that uni would have the same vibe but it really doesn’t.

Sometimes I wonder if I’ve made the right choice and I wish I could just drop out and get a job. I don’t know what to do. I don’t feel like I HATE University - I always told myself that i wouldn’t drop out of University unless I was really struggling mentally, crying a lot etc and honestly I don’t hate it to that extent. Also if I did drop out my family would be extremely disappointed in me and I don’t think I could deal with that. But I’m not loving it like everyone else expects me to or like everybody else at uni seems to. And I don’t know how I can keep myself upbeat and motivated for three years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Star_less)
    Hi.. you don’t have to reply to this if you don’t want to - I just need a place to get my thoughts out.

Basically, I’m not enjoying University. I’ve been there for two weeks now. I understand that’s early days and my view could change but the days just seem so relentless.

I’m living/commuting from home and travelling to University every day rather than living on campus. As a result I haven’t joined any societies - a majority of the ones I’m interested in are on Saturdays and Sundays when I’ll be at home. It feels like a lot of the people on my course have made friends already. There is one girl I chat to but she’s starting to come across as if she doesn’t like me and so I’m trying to keep my distance.

It’s not that I hate the lectures/subjects/seminars - I always write notes and I find the subjects interesting. I can deal with the pace of the lectures etc I just dread going in every day and once I’m at home I dread the next day. The weeks seem to drag and by the time the weekend comes I’m already worrying about starting again on Monday. I dread being given essays and work to do and feel so unmotivated - usually unlike me as I loved my alevels, sixth form and have always been a good worker and achiever.

It just feels as if I’m back in school again, it doesn’t feel like I’m independent or anything or I’m having the exciting uni experience that everyone talks about. I felt so comfortable and happy at college, and I always thought that uni would have the same vibe but it really doesn’t.

Sometimes I wonder if I’ve made the right choice and I wish I could just drop out and get a job. I don’t know what to do. I don’t feel like I HATE University - I always told myself that i wouldn’t drop out of University unless I was really struggling mentally, crying a lot etc and honestly I don’t hate it to that extent. Also if I did drop out my family would be extremely disappointed in me and I don’t think I could deal with that. But I’m not loving it like everyone else expects me to or like everybody else at uni seems to. And I don’t know how I can keep myself upbeat and motivated for three years.
    Whats stopping you going to university on a saturday or sunday? And have you tried talking to others on your course? At this early stage its very unlikely that friendships will have cemented.

ReputationRep:
    I don’t think you like your course or university very much.

I commute and I’ve made friends. I have group project meeting on Monday (we’re a group of 6). I suggested we meet then because it’s a two hour break, noone else wants to come on extra days too. Rest of the breaks are only one hour, so no point. We have to make a presentation. One other girl commutes in my group too. Apart from that, 4 live on campus.

I’ve been fine so far, I’m in 3 days a week. Train and bus have been very reliable. It’s hard to get into routine, but I don’t feel lonely.

You could always go out with your course mates etc on the weekend?

Can I ask why you feel like this?
    Are you interested in your course?
    How long is your commute?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.