Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Basically my brother`s 27 and he`s been really depressed recently for a variety of reasons. Mainly, he hates his job as a cleaner, he wakes up everyday at 5am (I know a lot of jobs are like this but after a couple of years its wearing him down), no one speaks to him during work and his boss treats him horribly, for example she`s given him no time off Christmas (had none last year) and said she won`t be giving him next year either (apparently as she`s annoyed he booked a day off that she wanted for someone else or something). I`ve heard from people that his boss actually shouldn`t be able to do this and some colleagues at his work have reported it to the union. Moving on, he doesn`t have a social life, I`m his best friend as well as his brother but I`m at uni and it hurts to think apart from our parents he has no one at home. Its almost as if he`s resigned himself to misery as he`s become more reclusive and just stays in his room every night.

My family are trying to help him find a new career path but he just feels lost, he`s the hardest working person I know but he kind of struggled academically and is scared about finding a new job. Even worse, a job he applied for a while ago he found out that he had an email in his junk folder so missed the interview and was distraught for the night. I just don`t know what to do to help him, I hate seeing him so miserable and think if he could just find a job that he just feels valued and is can enjoy would change his life.

ReputationRep:
    I'm really sorry to hear that. Is your brother receiving any treatment? At least he's applied for another job, even if there was a mishap with the emails.

Has he considered signing on at a job agency? I did that when I needed some cash after uni and there was work available pretty quickly (rubbish work, but work nonetheless).
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I'm sorry to hear that.

You could ask him to apply for job agencies at your local town centre's, there are many warehouse jobs available such as picker, packer, operative and it gives better money than his cleaning job.

He could try to study at the Open University for any degree he wants.

Also, if he's interested in the programming, IT field, there is lots of routes, he could get a programmer, developer job without experience or a degree if he follows this plan:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4761776

Also for networking he can take a N+ certification, volunteer has a network admin, then shoot for the CCNA, then go for the network engineer, analyst roles.

Also there is a financial planning where he can take a para planner certification/financial planning diploma I believe, volunteer then start off as a junior financial planner.

Good luck

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.