Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I transfer course or drop out? Watch

ReputationRep:
    So I just started studying BA Media Communications a week ago. After just coming back from a kind-of gap year, I thought studying media communications would be great as I have studied Media Studies (grade C) at A-level. However after my first week of inductions and 2 lectures, I don't think this course will be in my favour in terms of writing, theory etc.

If I were to drop out that would be a total waste and potentially ruin a years of financing a 3 year course. Previously in 2015, just after finishing Sixth Form I studied Game Design at Greenwich but dropped out after 2 months as I just chose a course I thought I could do and due to pressure of my parent's wanting me to go university. Dropping out no would leave me with only 2 years of financing so it isn't the best option right now.

There is another course that I think could work in favour of what I like and the field of study it goes towards which is BA Public Relations. I have previously studied BTEC Extended Diploma Business gaining a grade of DDM. Public Relations has more of the business groundwork that I think is more beneficial to me.

Do you think I can transfer courses or will it still affect my finance/tuition fees?
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Notanaveragedude)
    So I just started studying BA Media Communications a week ago. After just coming back from a kind-of gap year, I thought studying media communications would be great as I have studied Media Studies (grade C) at A-level. However after my first week of inductions and 2 lectures, I don't think this course will be in my favour in terms of writing, theory etc.

If I were to drop out that would be a total waste and potentially ruin a years of financing a 3 year course. Previously in 2015, just after finishing Sixth Form I studied Game Design at Greenwich but dropped out after 2 months as I just chose a course I thought I could do and due to pressure of my parent's wanting me to go university. Dropping out no would leave me with only 2 years of financing so it isn't the best option right now.

There is another course that I think could work in favour of what I like and the field of study it goes towards which is BA Public Relations. I have previously studied BTEC Extended Diploma Business gaining a grade of DDM. Public Relations has more of the business groundwork that I think is more beneficial to me.

Do you think I can transfer courses or will it still affect my finance/tuition fees?

You are going to have to ask them and sooner rather than later.

Tbh considering youve made the wrong choice before and taken a gap year then youve done a good job of making a big mess for yourself. You obviously didnt do your research. You now have little choice.

If its the same uni then they may accept no chance in finance , but if its a different uni then you have an issue as to whether your current uni will let you go.

If they wont then you are going to have to develop a mental illness as an excuse to leave.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    You are going to have to ask them and sooner rather than later.

Tbh considering youve made the wrong choice before and taken a gap year then youve done a good job of making a big mess for yourself. You obviously didnt do your research. You now have little choice.

If its the same uni then they may accept no chance in finance , but if its a different uni then you have an issue as to whether your current uni will let you go.

If they wont then you are going to have to develop a mental illness as an excuse to leave.
    Dropping out now would mean I can only do an HND later on once I have done the search and realising the commitment I am putting to go to university. However that puts me a in a bad spot for how much student finance I'll be paying in the future.

I did not get a grant this year and just got maintenance loan, but they may have somehow overpaid me.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.