Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My friend often feels embarrassed for me, and it's ok if she's just feeling embarrassed, but she can sometimes come across as possessive. She'd tell me stuff like ''stop doing that'' in a really demanding tone. sometimes, if it's something I'm wearing, she'd physically take it off because it's ''weird''. this could be a hat, or even the bracelet my other friend made for my birthday. Today, we were pushed by this girl who tried to get past, so naturally I stared at them in disbelief, and my friend instead of understanding my reaction she was like ''OMG STOP doing that now'' ??? I think my friend would even resort to pushing me away physically if she don't want to be associate with me. I get it that my friend is a conservative person, always wanting to be low profile, so when I try to stand out a little because I'm feeling it on somedays, she don't like the attention I'm possibly getting.

But, here's the thing, she has these very judgemental opinions. very stereotypically posh trash opinion almost like Katie hopkin views. She would often voice these so loud in the common room of sixth form. once she'd say something like ''those girls live in crap council estate'' so loud I was shocked. but I let her have her opinion and didn't say much, others were looking. it was embarrassing. the difference between me and her is I let her be. we've been friends since forever but this is getting on my nerves. it's normal to be conscious about how others think of yourself but this is another level.
    what would you do?

talk to her or leave her

ReputationRep:
    she sounds toxic and like a horrible friend. Don't let her try to ruin your individuality. she's probably got some hatred of herself hidden inside and is taking it out on you. You don't need toxic people in your life, especially when doing exams. stand your ground and make sure she knows she can't get away with walking all over You, that's bullying
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Tbh she's a b1tch.
    Friends shouldn't be embarrassed by you

ReputationRep:
    You need to leave her behind and move on.

ReputationRep:
    She's controlling and manipulative. Ditch her.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    My friend often feels embarrassed for me, and it's ok if she's just feeling embarrassed, but she can sometimes come across as possessive. She'd tell me stuff like ''stop doing that'' in a really demanding tone. sometimes, if it's something I'm wearing, she'd physically take it off because it's ''weird''. this could be a hat, or even the bracelet my other friend made for my birthday. Today, we were pushed by this girl who tried to get past, so naturally I stared at them in disbelief, and my friend instead of understanding my reaction she was like ''OMG STOP doing that now'' ??? I think my friend would even resort to pushing me away physically if she don't want to be associate with me. I get it that my friend is a conservative person, always wanting to be low profile, so when I try to stand out a little because I'm feeling it on somedays, she don't like the attention I'm possibly getting.

But, here's the thing, she has these very judgemental opinions. very stereotypically posh trash opinion almost like Katie hopkin views. She would often voice these so loud in the common room of sixth form. once she'd say something like ''those girls live in crap council estate'' so loud I was shocked. but I let her have her opinion and didn't say much, others were looking. it was embarrassing. the difference between me and her is I let her be. we've been friends since forever but this is getting on my nerves. it's normal to be conscious about how others think of yourself but this is another level.
    what would you do?
    You can be as quirky and odd as you like! That's who you are. If your friend has an issue with that she has an issue with you.
    You seem very mature about the differences between you and your friend. You have accepted that you are different people, but you like her and aren't letting those differences getting the way.
    Your friend is letting them get in the way though and unless that changes you'll be stuck between you becoming a different person for her or you no longer being friends.

I would have a talk with her and tell her how upsetting you find it that she seems so embarrassed by you. Hopefully she will realise she is being unreasonable and make more of an effort.
    But you do need to be ready to side with yourself and let you be you. If she can't accept you for all of who you are then you'll have to stand up for yourself, even if that means distancing yourself from an old friend.
    Friends care about each other and accept each other. If she can't do that then she's the one who stopped being friends with you.

Hope that helps

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 14, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.