Turn on thread page Beta

Is it silly for me to think of going into the army? (16,female) watch

ReputationRep:
    For a while I have decided on a few possible careers- paramedic, some sort of security, prison officer or police officer (possibly moving into armed police). I have always wanted an active job. The last few weeks I have been increasingly thinking of a career in the army. Before I wouldn’t have considered it but after watching tv shows and seeing adverts to join on Facebook, I seem to have changed my mind. I am quite shy but I can take orders and I can take banter and give just as good back. I am not very fit at the moment but am looking at joining the gym and losing a stone or two and increasing my fitness levels as I enjoy exercise I just don’t have the facilities at the moment. Is anyone able to give me some advice? Is 16 too late to begin getting fit and thinking of joining the army?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meg846)
    For a while I have decided on a few possible careers- paramedic, some sort of security, prison officer or police officer (possibly moving into armed police). I have always wanted an active job. The last few weeks I have been increasingly thinking of a career in the army. Before I wouldn’t have considered it but after watching tv shows and seeing adverts to join on Facebook, I seem to have changed my mind. I am quite shy but I can take orders and I can take banter and give just as good back. I am not very fit at the moment but am looking at joining the gym and losing a stone or two and increasing my fitness levels as I enjoy exercise I just don’t have the facilities at the moment. Is anyone able to give me some advice? Is 16 too late to begin getting fit and thinking of joining the army?
    16 isnt too late xD you're really young still, you may need to wait till you're 18 or something (not looked up much army stuff but I assume 18 is when you're accepted). As for advice on getting in idk.

(the guy above is a troll, ignore him.

ReputationRep:
    I am not very fit at the moment but am looking at joining the gym and losing a stone or two and increasing my fitness levels as I enjoy exercise I just don’t have the facilities at the moment. Is anyone able to give me some advice? Is 16 too late to begin getting fit and thinking of joining the army?
    Without wanting to sound facetious, the army careers site is a good place to start.

They're not going to expect you to be an olympic athlete, there will be minimum fitness standards - but it's nowhere near too late to start getting there. The basic level of fitness they'll ask from you could be achieved in a few weeks of really hard work, or more realistically just be something you build up to.

You don't need tonnes of facilities, just get out and run and do some sit ups and press ups in your room.

Go talk to your nearest careers office if you can, they'll have a lot of information they can give you.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, not late at all. A girl that I knew in college last year did her A levels and joined the army. She had to go through some fitness tests and writing tests but she said the writing tests (Maths was one of them) were just above par compared to GCSEs; the fitness test was the only obstacle for her. I wish you the best of luck! It's pretty cool to be in the army, especially for a female since it should be harder for them.

ReputationRep:
    I feel like my family won’t take me seriously and I’m not 100% that I would want to do it yet as I have to do more research but i feel that if I did want to then I may Ben put off by my family. Also, I am quite introverted. Will this matter in the army? After I get to know people a bit I can come out of my shell. I’m just worried that I would have to be more outgoing to be in the army.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fcvghgbvh)
    Yes. Go straight into the kitchen where you belong.
    Well done 👍

ReputationRep:
    I feel like my family won’t take me seriously and I’m not 100% that I would want to do it yet as I have to do more research but i feel that if I did want to then I may Ben put off by my family. Also, I am quite introverted. Will this matter in the army? After I get to know people a bit I can come out of my shell. I’m just worried that I would have to be more outgoing to be in the army.
    There are 80,000 people in the Army, it has all sorts. There's no requirement to be extroverted or introverted. Be yourself, pass the tests.

And, as other people have said, you're still really young in the grand scheme of things. Your outlook is likely to chance a lot.

ReputationRep:
    It's never too late

ReputationRep:
    I was a medic in the IDF (no politics please, I'm not a fan it either). It's a great experience to build your personality. I spent only two years and wasn't looking for a career there, but nevertheless, when looking back it was a good experience. I was shy and had weak personality, it helped me get stronger (not in the best way possible, but still did).

As for getting fit, as a former athlete I can tell you that 16 is a good age to start working on your fitness. Your body is almost fully grown and it is a good time to work on your posture, muscles and body shape for the future. You can get fit very quickly, like a kid, and get good muscle structure like an adult. I am not talking about bodybuilding or anything, but just looking fit and being fit.
    You should also work on your stamina, quite a lot actually.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely not. Serving your country in the Armed Forces making sacrifices along the way is amongst the most honourable things you could possibly do. As such there are a range of different roles you can choose from based on your age, fitness, and obviously the fact you are a female. Fitness standards are demanding however nothing that isn't achievable if you start preparing a few months in advance. Check the Army website for further information regarding fitness tests (Standards vary based on your role) . As for your family disapproving that could potentially cause problems - you will need their permission to join at 16. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    I don’t think my family will disapprove but they won’t take me seriously and I can’t deal with their comments (can’t think of an example) as they make me feel awkward. Would it be silly to enter with a slight worry of being killed?

ReputationRep:
    I don’t think my family will disapprove but they won’t take me seriously and I can’t deal with their comments (can’t think of an example) as they make me feel awkward. Would it be silly to enter with a slight worry of being killed?
    It depends on your role and if you'll be serving in a warzone, so silly no, there's always a risk but it's limited i believe. Fitness wise, i feel you. I'm looking to go try and get an engineering apprenticeship in the navy after i do a year in college. After looking at fitness tests, the main part seem to be running a 2.4K on a treadmill in under a certain amount of time, but this could be different between roles/between air force, navy, marines, etc. Definitely try and build stamina though.

No expert, just that i kind of seem to be in a similar situation, somewhat. As for the family, it may be a bit simplistic and easier said than done, but who cares. There's plenty of females serving. I'm sure they'd be supportive of you.

ReputationRep:
    You're definitely not to young but like many at your age what you may feel is right for you now can change very quickly I'm 21 and know personally 3 friends who wanted to join and even went to the trouble of passing the fitness tests, only to drop out as they felt it wasn't for them. However if you're certain and determined then go for it but it's a huge commitment. As for your family being pessimistic, I've been there and its frustrating and almost makes you want to do it just to spite them... can never understand why they're not supportive, maybe they're scared somewhat ?

ReputationRep:
    I haven’t actually mentioned it to my parents yet. I think that I may look into it but I’m a bit nervous about it. Thanks all for your advice

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 11, 2017
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.